Diy brew kettle

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Chicco
Favourite Beer: amber ale

Diy brew kettle

Post #1 by Chicco » 1 year ago

Hey guys, i think i'm moving on to all grain brewing by next year, i'm thinking of doing a diy brew kettle and mash tun. What materials do i need to convert my existing 20gal pot and water jug with a stainless ball valve with quick release? What do i need to seal it? ( would teflon tape work if i am going to boil in it?) need advice or should i say a step by step process, lol! And lastly, where do i get the parts needed? I'm in Winnipeg, manitoba btw. Cheers!
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: Diy brew kettle

Post #2 by XXXXX » 1 year ago

Hey,

It sort of depends which way you want to go: electric or gas burner? And what features do you want it to have?

Generally high temperature, food grade silicone o-ring are used to create water tight fittings in a kettle. Or, sanitary stainless welds are another option albeit more expensive.

There should be no reason you can't use your existing 20gal pot to convert either way.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
Chicco

Post #3 by Chicco » 1 year ago

Yeah i'm thinking of going with propane burner. I like controlling my flame instead of electric when i'' cookin something. Thanks for the input XXXXX, any other tips for the build? :cheers:
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #4 by XXXXX » 1 year ago

If it's thin enough stainless you can get away with using step bits to drill the holes. If it's aluminum, no problem there either. Start with a center punch to mark the spot, then a pilot hole, then step bit to size. Go slow and cool/lubricate otherwise you'll work-harden the material and destroy your drill bit's temper and cutting edge.

Radio punches are even better, albeit also much pricier.

If I were to build a new kettle I'd include the following:

- Gradation (whether etched inside or with a sight tube)
- three 1/2" npt bulkheads (two located low for suction, and one located high for filling/vorlaufing/recirculation/aeration)
- a thermo-well

Plus I'd add a 1" npt for heating elements since I brew electrically.

Re: Controlling the flame -- propane is a relatively expensive way to heat water (probably the most expensive). If you switch to electric and invest in a proper element controller you'll save the difference in shorter order than you might think.

All the best!
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
Chicco

Post #5 by Chicco » 1 year ago

Awesome! All notes taken, i'll look into that electric route as well. Thanks!!
relax_take_homebrew
Favourite Beer: Homebrew

Post #6 by relax_take_homebrew » 1 year ago

I made same choice as you last year. Move from stovetop to propane. And now after 5 brewday i move to electric set up.

Take your time to read both avantage. I will never never go back to propane. You can built a really inexpensive way to control your element.

Cheer.
Chicco

Post #7 by Chicco » 1 year ago

relax_take_homebrew wrote:I made same choice as you last year. Move from stovetop to propane. And now after 5 brewday i move to electric set up.

Take your time to read both avantage. I will never never go back to propane. You can built a really inexpensive way to control your element.

Cheer.

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it, cheers!

Return to “Homebrewing Equipment”