New conical

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

New conical

Post by brhenrio » 3 years ago

Am looking at this to upgrade my setup. http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Ss_BrewT ... master.htm
Anyone have one of these? Any good home build glycol systems?
In the fermentor: Golden Sour,
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Re: New conical

Post by kombat » 3 years ago

It sure is blingy, but will it make your beer taste any better?

Will it make better beer than the simple STC-1000 ($20) + chest freezer from Kijiji ($100) + heating belt ($20) + thermowell ($20) + carboy from Kijiji ($10) setup?

Baulz
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Baulz » 3 years ago

kombat wrote:It sure is blingy, but will it make your beer taste any better?

Will it make better beer than the simple STC-1000 ($20) + chest freezer from Kijiji ($100) + heating belt ($20) + thermowell ($20) + carboy from Kijiji ($10) setup?
Probably not.

But from my experience using their Brewbucket simple conicals cleaning and racking is so much easier and faster.

BTW - I went even cheaper than your example with a $40 kijiji mini fridge, $20 STC-1000, scrap wood/insulation to build a collar, and an old light bulb for heat.

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 3 years ago

Baulz wrote:from my experience using their Brewbucket simple conicals cleaning and racking is so much easier and faster.
Can you elaborate? I can see how racking might be slightly easier/faster (just connect a sanitized line to the outlet port instead of priming an autosiphon), but wouldn't cleaning be more involved than a carboy?

With my carboys, after racking the beer out, I simply fill them to the brim with a hot Oxyclean solution and leave them for a day. 24 hours later, I dump the solution and rinse a couple of times, and they're good as new. Wouldn't a conical involve disassembling and cleaning the valve assemblies and connectors? I've only ever used carboys, so I'm a little ignorant about the "care and feeding" of conical fermenters.

Lead Loader
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post by Lead Loader » 3 years ago

I have bought the 14 Gal Version, WAYYYYYY better then just some crappy plastic bucket. The bucket seemed to hold on to Strong flavours in the plastic and nothing gets it out. Only thing is all the parts you have to clean and sanitize once, but the use of it is easier dumping the junk trub in the bottom, extracting yeast and just dropping out the Hops instead of having it sit on it or changing containers and cleaning buckets all the time. Its a one container party till it goes in the keg. Also if you can flash chill, like I put mine outside for a bit in the winter or in my cold storage all the yeast drops out and you get CLEAR BEER!. Also all the other pieces like its good to have a cap on the top to force CO2 in when transfering or just draining trub out the bottom. My beers have improved 90% (other 10% is all the things i do wrong). Only thing I have had an issue with is using the same small size bubbler from my 7 Gal pail as this 14Gal produces so much CO2 that the Starsan in it bubbles out the top and I have to keep refilling it when I do 9Gal or more in it. Also the additional Temp Probe is a nice feature. Im 4 brews in and the $600 is well worth the money to do double batches, now I just need a bigger mashtun..... as 26lbs of grain makes a 8.14% IPA.
Beer, Beer, Beer, Bed, Bed, Bed

brhenrio

Thanks biggest reason I am considering this route is because of space constraints. If I get a new freezer or fridge, it is going to be used for food. Or so says Swmbo
Tap 4:

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Wow, prices have jumped up on those. I was wanting to purchase one last year but they would not allow me to pick it up. Couldn't bring myself to pay shipping from a town I drive through twice a week
I went with 60l speidels and have been quite happy at 1/10 the price. Sure do like a nice SS conical though.

brhenrio

bellybuster wrote:Wow, prices have jumped up on those. I was wanting to purchase one last year but they would not allow me to pick it up. Couldn't bring myself to pay shipping from a town I drive through twice a week
I went with 60l speidels and have been quite happy at 1/10 the price. Sure do like a nice SS conical though.
That's the one with all the bells and wistles. If you get the plain conical it's about 550. This one has the jacket, coil, submersible pump, and some other extras.
Tap 4:

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Ahhh gotchya. Go big or stay at home type conical. I like

bcbeerlover
Favourite Beer: YellowDog IPA

Post by bcbeerlover » 1 year ago

brhenrio wrote:Am looking at this to upgrade my setup. http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Ss_BrewT ... master.htm
Anyone have one of these? Any good home build glycol systems?
brhenrio did you purchase one of these?
If so how happy are you with it?