Grainfather

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Kamgator
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

Grainfather

Post #1 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

I know it is not as robust as some of the systems out there but the price at OBK is quite alluring. Been sitting in my checkout for 24hrs. Anyone here have one? Seen one used? Been researching this to death for the past 24hrs. I REALLY wanted a Blichman Breweasy but that doesn't look practical now and the Braumeister looks fantastic but a HUGE premium to the Grainfather, as is anything Blichman. Just concerned it may be a piece of junk.
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Grainfather

Post #2 by brhenrio » 2 years ago

Kamgator wrote:I know it is not as robust as some of the systems out there but the price at OBK is quite alluring. Been sitting in my checkout for 24hrs. Anyone here have one? Seen one used? Been researching this to death for the past 24hrs. I REALLY wanted a Blichman Breweasy but that doesn't look practical now and the Braumeister looks fantastic but a HUGE premium to the Grainfather, as is anything Blichman. Just concerned it may be a piece of junk.

Read the new brew rig thread. It was bellybusters new biab rig and seems to have worked quite well for him.
In the fermentor: Skidmark Sour Brown Ale
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:
Tap 2: Kolsch
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Kamgator

Post #3 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

I did read that thread, unfortunately they have discontinued that system and the new one is quite pricey with the exchange rate. May just convert my cooler to a RIMS instead.
Kamgator

Post #4 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

So I did pull the trigger on the Grainfather and it is an interesting bit of kit. Four brews in now, working through optimizing grain crush but otherwise has produced some very nice beers, still involved in the brewing process (not like a Picobrew) but can get other things done while I brew (I work in my home office so can work AND brew).
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #5 by Reignman » 2 years ago

Work and brew at the same time Kamgator? Nothing better.
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #6 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

Kamgator wrote:So I did pull the trigger on the Grainfather and it is an interesting bit of kit. Four brews in now, working through optimizing grain crush but otherwise has produced some very nice beers, still involved in the brewing process (not like a Picobrew) but can get other things done while I brew (I work in my home office so can work AND brew).

Nice!! I work away from home, brewing is few and far between in the summer.
Glad you like your grandfather, it is a pretty cool system.
Kamgator

Post #7 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

So five brews (Blonde, English Ale, Begian Wit and two different IPA's) in and can say the GF works pretty well. High mash efficiency and hitting OG's all but once (grain crush was too coarse). Has not really saved any time in a brew day over my 3V setup but needs less attention and clean up is simpler. Takes a while to get to boil but if you set the unit to boil as soon as you pull the grain basket to sparge by the time sparging is done you are almost there.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #8 by Reignman » 2 years ago

How is the boil? Some people say it isn't vigorous enough.
Kamgator

Post #9 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

Reignman wrote:How is the boil? Some people say it isn't vigorous enough.

I had the same concern before I took the plunge and spent some time researching it (two good Facebook groups - one global and one North American only) to try and determine if it is an issue. It certainly does not compare to a gas burner boil but it definitely gets to a "rolling boil" and concentrates the wort nicely, it gets the job done. I've not had any boil related issues, only finding the "sweet spot" for grain crush - similiar to a BIAB crush rather than 3V type crush.

Return to “Homebrewing Equipment”