DIY sight glass

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

DIY sight glass

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

So, I looked around to find a sight glass for the wort to see when it is running clear...

I couldn't find anything near economically feasible...

So I got a couple of compression fittings, a 6 ft length of 5/8" OD acrylic tubing and some teflon tape...

The trick with the acrylic tubing is that you need to wrap precisely one layer of teflon tape around where the collar sits so the collar can grab onto it and push down. That thin strip of teflon tape seals it.

This is part one of my 3-week-vacation project of hard plumbing my system (it will be copper, but that's ok, no need for stainless)...

Below is a picture of what I did.

I asked the guys at the specialty plastics company that supplied me with the acrylic tube about food safety at higher temps. They said it would be fine. (The wort will be max 80 C)
sight glass.jpg
The clear part is 5 inches long and the whole sight glass will be installed vertically... It's two two-way compression fittings so the installation into the copper tubing will be quite easy...

Comments?

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: DIY sight glass

Post by jamatron » 4 years ago

Nice....can't wait to see the pics. :cheers:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Doc_Drive

Thanks, I'll definitely send pictures over once I've hard plumbed it and do the inaugural brew on it...

I'm just looking for a good option to put a brew stand together... Not feeling like spending >$100 on it (I'm cheap)... Was thinking though that at least the top part would probably metal hole struts... I just don't seem to find them in Calgary...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 4 years ago

Thick-walled glass tubing is available, is fairly tough, and is not overly expensive - would that not eliminate a lot of the issues with the plastic?

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Doc_Drive

The acrylic I got was $5.50 for 5/8 OD at 6 feet (smallest length they got) and is safe up to 100C... Plus it is stain resistant... It's a short duration (only while sparging). The whole thing was <$10 so I think it is pretty much the cheapest equipment that I've made for my rig...

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

This is brilliant...and the timing of this post couldn't be better for my build! Thank you for the info., if I incorporate into my build I will give you a big shout out on my YT channel. Cheers!
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Doc_Drive

cool! Just make sure there is one layer of teflon tape between the compression ring and the acrylic tube.. that way you can squeeze the ring onto it and it takes the strain away from the acrylic... The tubing it self fits so snug into the compression ring that it is a bit finicky to have the tape under the ring...

Greedy Dragon Brewing

Hey Doc, just out of curiousity...Where did you buy your supplies for this build?

Doc_Drive

I got the acrylic from a plastics supplier here in town and the rest i got from home depot...

I can mail you a length of the acrylics if you want...

Greedy Dragon Brewing

Doc_Drive wrote:I got the acrylic from a plastics supplier here in town and the rest i got from home depot...

I can mail you a length of the acrylics if you want...
That would be great! I have 3 15.5 G, Sanke Kegs that I am going to convert into a three vessel HERMS system. I have the table designed at work, just working on the details on how I want everything to come together. Cheers