What malt mill do you use? Why

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

What malt mill do you use? Why

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 1 week ago

Hello All

Been out of the brewing hobby for awhile, I am rebuilding everything and looking for some insight on malt mills.
What are you using? What do you like about it? What is not so good about it?

Cheers

Scott

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: What malt mill do you use? Why

Post by Warthaug » 1 week ago

I use a braley crusher 2-roller mill, and a drill to power it. Reasonable balance between cost and quality, and easily adjustable for different milling settings (not that I do that very often). I previously had a cheaper knockoff mill, which didn't hold its mill gap very well, and which had rollers that wore out in a year. My BC has run through 4x as much grain as the knockoff without the gap slipping or the rollers wearing.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 1 week ago

My original mill was the Barley Crusher. I am not sure if much changed in the design since I put mine together. I did not care for the aluminum rollers the knurl peened over and grain would surf on the rollers and would need to be persuaded to start grinding. I also found it went out of adjustment within a couple of runs. Mine was well used I am sure it was more than what they may consider normal use. Thanks for you input Warthaug!

Cheers

Scott

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 1 week ago

My rollers are stainless, not aluminum, as is the body and hopper. I think they've upgraded their materials since yours.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 week ago

I have a barley crusher as well. Hopper is aluminum but rollers are steel. I have to pay attention to the gaps as the rollers do move. The 3 roller monster mill is one everyone seems to be raving about, but ir is a higher price point.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour, Gentleman's Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Kicked

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 1 day ago

Good day All

I refurbished my old mill I sold to a friend with this Kegco 3 roller mill. It is well made, I will buy one for myself.
https://www.kegco.com/home-brewing-equipment/km11gm-3r/
I also must correct my previous statement on the barley crusher malt mill, the rollers are steel.
The Barley Crusher was a good mill just worn out.

Cheers

Scott
Attachments
KIMG0034.jpg
KIMG0033.jpg