Robo Brew V3

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

Re: Robo Brew V3

Post by Patrickivan » 1 week ago

Reignman wrote:
<span title="|01 Nov 2018|, 06:15">1 week ago</span>
Yes, it is a good boil even though it is 27 - 28 L in the kettle. I will shoot a video on my next brew. I just eye the level, try for at least 27 L. It's getting easier as I do more batches. Yesterday I got around 21 L in my carboy with around 1 L left in the kettle which was full of junk.
I tried that yesterday. Worked great. And I forgot to put on the insulation, and the boil was fine. Oddly, it seemed to be a nicer rolling boil than my first batch.

Odd thing, I'm seeing little spotty light (lighter than the pot) discolouration on the bottom centre of the pot.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 1 week ago

Will it scrub off or is it a stainless steel problem?

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 6 days ago

I haven't had time to try yet (since my last attempt). I'll try some toothpaste and a rough cloth before my next brew. I've had training in remedial artifact conservation and preservation. I'd rather take it slow before ruling out a defect in the pot. And it's just too hard to get in there to see if it's pitting, or a deposit (eg a mineral deposit baked on perhaps).

Bah. Hopefully nothing. I want to brew a stout this weekend!

I was panicked over Saturday's brew. The yeast didn't activate until yesterday morning. And before I left for work, the carboy looked dead still and not the tiniest bubble. 2 hours after I left, BOOM. Twice now with that WLP. I know it says it can take up to 72 hours, but sheesh. Talk about last minute.

George Nathan

Reignman

Post by Reignman » 4 days ago

Heat on to mash in this morning, went down 30 min later to see nothing but a big E2 code. Dam, no brewing today.

Reignman

I got a E1 error also. This is the second time this thing has crashed. Not happy :@

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 4 days ago

Oh man, that's shitty... is it remotely possible that one the connections came loose on the replacement? Hopefully that's it as opposed to another probe failure. Because if not, that's a pretty bad track record for one person's unit, and would suggest to me this could be a worrying issue.

George Nathan

Reignman

I haven't taken it apart as I am finishing today's brew on my old system. They are sending me a replacement unit. It started to heat up as usual, around 20 C from 12 C and when I checked it again it was blank. The thing that worries me is if OBK'S gets fed up with constantly replacing parts or units, will they stop selling it. If so, where do I get my parts from after the warranty expires? From what I read on the Robobrew USA facebook page, the parts from the US are 3 times the price what we pay here in Canada. This is only my 7th brew session and I already am sending it back for a replacement. Not good.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 3 days ago

Yikes, I would be getting worried too. On one of his facebook posts, patrick from obk said warranty work was about the same as the grainfather, which they stopped selling because of all the issues.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

Reignman

Post by Reignman » 3 days ago

I took it apart and everything was connected and I saw no loose wires. Packaging everything up for the return to OBK.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 2 days ago

brhenrio wrote:
<span title="|09 Nov 2018|, 17:11">3 days ago</span>
Yikes, I would be getting worried too. On one of his facebook posts, patrick from obk said warranty work was about the same as the grainfather, which they stopped selling because of all the issues.
That bad? Sheesh. These aren't crazy sophisticated devices here. Is the big issue the control board, temp probes, and pumps being in too close proximity to the elements, in an enclosed environment? On the other hand, so many people have no issues at all.

George Nathan