Robo Brew V3

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Robo Brew V3

Post by Reignman » 2 months ago

Yes. They are sending a temp probe and a circuit board. However, I am wondering after the warranty is up. These things will need parts all the time. Seems to me this was designed by a kid in grade 10 science class. I would of paid more for better quality parts.

Reignman

Post by Reignman » 2 months ago

Replaced the circuit board and temp probe. Seems okay, everything back to normal. I still want to install a fan to draw some hot air out from underneath it.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 month ago

Took mine for its maiden voyage last night and really took it for a spin. 70/30 pils/raw wheat, in a turbid mash. All went well until i hit my second rest, and temp started reading high. 20 degrees high.... once i figured that out i just had to adjust my setpoints...

Hit my numbers bang on but had an extra gallon of wort, due to my improved efficency even with raw wheat.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 month ago

Figured out why temp was so high while cleaning today. Scorched a bunch of wheat protien because of my recipe and it insulated the coil and probe.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

Reignman

Post by Reignman » 1 month ago

Installed a bathroom fan I found in my garage underneath the milk crate. Sucked out hot air from inside the unit. Worked pretty good. No stats, but just by putting my hand on the bottom part. It was very warm instead of very hot with my first brew.

Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

Post by Patrickivan » 3 weeks ago

I'm not glad you had issues, but I am glad you posted it here. My family just got me one.

I'm excited to try it out, and will indeed use a fan!
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 2 weeks ago

I cleaned it last night. Brought it up to mash temps fast enough.

But the very weak rolling boil (from cold water - I was curious) took about 1h 20 mins to get up to with 20 litres of water.

And, it couldn't get past 100 degrees Celsius with the pump on, and couldn't get past 99 with it off. Both burners on.

I don't see why this shouldn't work, but I'll have to adjust my water volume for the boil.

Just a wee more juice and I'd be quite happy with it. Maybe also with some insulation? At the very least it'll quicken the time to reach a boil.

How did you set up the fan you added? The bottom is solid and the vents are only on the sides. I was going to place the fan on one side of the vents. Pull hot out, and draw cool in.

One other issue I'm having, is our hard water. holy crap, we just moved and it's far worse than our old place. After emptying the pot, and it started to dry, the mineral stains were so pronounced.

We have a water softener, but it's not operational yet. It came with the house and is old and wasn't being used. So now I have to figure out how to use the damned thing.

George Nathan

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 2 weeks ago

Patrickivan wrote:
<span title="|24 Oct 2018|, 08:10">2 weeks ago</span>
One other issue I'm having, is our hard water. holy crap, we just moved and it's far worse than our old place. After emptying the pot, and it started to dry, the mineral stains were so pronounced.
I had the same problem for a while when I was living out on a well.

I ended up using bouncing back between spring and distilled water. It's very cheap when you refill yourself (I think it was ~$1.50 per batch) but a pain in the...errr..back.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Reignman

Post by Reignman » 2 weeks ago

I use the heavy duty plastic ties and just strapped it under the milk crate. I used a hole saw for the out put of the bathroom fan on the side of the milk crate and it was done. Works great.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 2 weeks ago

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with this device.

My brew day including cleanup was just over 5 hours. Not really any less than normal, but less work in the sense of transferring liquids.

I did a kolsch. 9lbs grain bill. Hallertau and Cascade hop. Mash temp heated up fast. I tried to compensate for the grain temp and bloody well over compensated with my mash in at 70C. About 5 degrees higher than intended.

Mashing out was painfully slow though. The bottom of the malt pipe or whatever they call it, has two filters, and it did it's job all right. It accumulated so much fine material, it took me forever for the liquid to drain down to the boil pot.

Got a surprisingly good rolling boil with a heavy towel wrapped midline one the pot.

And chilling it was under 20 minutes.

Cleaning is no more a pain than normal.

All and all, a fun little system. Can't wait to get comfortable with the programming.

George Nathan