Rhizomes arrived, now what?

For job postings, apartments, homes, cars, hook-ups, group buys, carpooling, and whatever other deals that don't fit into the equipment exchange.
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Rhizomes arrived, now what?

Post by Winger » 4 years ago

My rhizomes arrived this week ie. 27th of March, in Edmonton. The ground will be frozen for at least another month. I am planning to move this summer but can plant at my sons place on the south side of his shop which is probably thawed now but will still be getting snow and freezing temperatures for another month or more. I've read that I can just keep rhizomes in the fridge for long periods or I can plant in pots and move. I'm concerned that if I plant in the ground now and move later in June they may be to large to move, but have the same problem if in pots. The rhizomes already have 2 in. sprouts on most so I figure I will have to plant in something before the move. What do the hops growers recommend? :S
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: Rhizomes arrived, now what?

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

Winger wrote:My rhizomes arrived this week ie. 27th of March, in Edmonton. The ground will be frozen for at least another month. I am planning to move this summer but can plant at my sons place on the south side of his shop which is probably thawed now but will still be getting snow and freezing temperatures for another month or more. I've read that I can just keep rhizomes in the fridge for long periods or I can plant in pots and move. I'm concerned that if I plant in the ground now and move later in June they may be to large to move, but have the same problem if in pots. The rhizomes already have 2 in. sprouts on most so I figure I will have to plant in something before the move. What do the hops growers recommend? :S
hi Winger, i was checking my rhizomes in the fridge and yes the shoots are growing, plant them in 1 gallon pots or slightly larger,let them grow and dont worry about letting them climb,as they grow keep winding them around themselves and keep in check,when you move you will have much less of a problem, plant at your new place and wait to get a bit of a crop next year, and dont sweat it, they will be fine as long as you water and feed a little , bit of manure slurry mixed with water, buy a small bag of dung at garden shop,it will last, wait till they root for a couple mths before throwin the shit to them...good luck with them :cheers:

JGBrewery1
Favourite Beer: stella

Post by JGBrewery1 » 4 years ago

I agree, I had first year rhizomes sitting in a 1 gal pot all season waiting for my buddy to pick them up, wait I still have them lulz they grew a little bit but no 6 feet like mine planted did
If you trust nothing else. . .Trust your sanitizer

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Conical: Galaxy hop lager
Lagering: N/A
Bottled: random left overs
On Tap:black rock brown ale, vienna lager(galaxy dry hopping)

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 4 years ago

:facepalm: Sorry, this post is in the wrong category, follow in "Rhizomes arrived, time to plant" in Beer gardening. Thanks, Winger :cheers: :drunk: :drunk:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.