Fruli Premium Strawberry Beer Recipe

Share your favourite homebrew recipes with other Canadian Home Brewers.
BottomsUp
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Fruli Premium Strawberry Beer Recipe

Post by BottomsUp » 2 years ago

I have been asked by my son's fiancee to make a Fruli Strawberry Beer for their wedding next year (mostly for the female guests). I have searched the Internet for a recipe, and while I did find a few, there was never a follow-up on how it actually turned out. I suspect that those who attempted it did not have much success, so didn't bother revising the recipe or providing any comments.

Has anyone made an attempt at this fruit beer and had it turn out reasonably close? Or even something similar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Fruli Premium Strawberry Beer Recipe

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

I brewed a wheat beer and added strawberry extract to the keg. Tasted okay by me.

BottomsUp

Reignman wrote:I brewed a wheat beer and added strawberry extract to the keg. Tasted okay by me.
Thanks, Reignman! What specific extract did you use, and how much did you add?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

Sure hope you have lots of time...

I did this one but I did it as a lager. I felt the "beer" flavour needed a backseat
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=132129

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

It was from Toronto Brewing and just one of their little bottles of fruit extract. It was okay. I added the whole bottle to 5 gallons. You can add the extract in smaller amounts to your keg and taste it to your own tastes.

BottomsUp

bellybuster wrote:Sure hope you have lots of time...

I did this one but I did it as a lager. I felt the "beer" flavour needed a backseat
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=132129
Thanks! I just read the entire thread, but notice from the comments that the resulting flavour for that recipe is more of a tartiness than a sweetness. I haven't tried the real Fruli yet, but it's in the fridge and I will try it tonight. Also, the Fruli is supposed to have a very strong strawberry flavour. How strong was the flavour in your version? Was it similar to Fruli?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

haven't had Fruli as I don't like flavoured beers.
I've made several fruit beers over the years for others and always find it disappointing The fruit itself tends to disappear and a tartness somewhat resembling the fruit replaces it. The only fresh fruit I ever had remain as itself was apricot.
To get that strawberry flavour through in a beer, I would assume an extract is added post fermentation. Kind of cheating??? I have no idea how you would ever get that unique strawberry flavour to remain otherwise.

flavouring a dry crisp light lager is the way to go, a very clean ale would work also

BottomsUp

bellybuster wrote:haven't had Fruli as I don't like flavoured beers.
I've made several fruit beers over the years for others and always find it disappointing The fruit itself tends to disappear and a tartness somewhat resembling the fruit replaces it. The only fresh fruit I ever had remain as itself was apricot.
To get that strawberry flavour through in a beer, I would assume an extract is added post fermentation. Kind of cheating??? I have no idea how you would ever get that unique strawberry flavour to remain otherwise.

flavouring a dry crisp light lager is the way to go, a very clean ale would work also
Just tried it last night - tastes more like a fruit drink than a fruit beer. The strawberry comes across quite strongly, and the drink is VERY sweet. No wonder the ladies like it.

I will have to resort to flavouring - it's likely the only way to get that strong of a flavour, plus it would be less expensive than buying 10-15 pounds or more of frozen strawberries. And you're right - in order for the taste to come through, a light lager or Kolsch is likely the way to go. Also no flavour/aroma hops, but some bittering hops to counterbalance the sweetness.