Molasses Red

Share your favourite homebrew recipes with other Canadian Home Brewers.
delo978
Favourite Beer: stout

Molasses Red

Post #1 by delo978 » 3 years ago

I apologies for the delay, my recipe book grew legs and went for a stroll however finally re-appeared.
Due to few requests here's my Molasses Red recipe which is a local favorite...or must be cause i have to stash some when my friends are over.

5 Gallon Batch
5.5% - 6%

11 lbs - 2 Row
0.5 lb - chocolate
0.5 lb - crystal 60
1 tsp - Irish moss (10min)
.5 oz - cascade (5min)
.5 oz - fuggles (5min)
1 lb- dark molasses (Crosby Fancy) (0min)

Combine milled grains with 4.48 Gallons H20 at 170F to settle at 155F. (my Tun)

Mash for 60 Minutes.
Lauter, then Sparge with 5.32 Gallons of 177F H20 -OR-
Mash Out with 5.32 Gallons of 183F water and Lauter
Boil wort for 60 Minutes
Add Hops and Molasses as mentioned above
2 week primary, 1 week secondary, then bottle and I wait 3 weeks to enjoy however may not be required.

Cheers and enjoy if you make it.
Last edited by delo978 on |06 Aug 2015|, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
bellybuster

Re: Molasses Red

Post #2 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Reminds me of a recipe I used several times over the years, looks like a meal when you look at the recipe but turns out to be an easy drinker.
I'll give this a shot as soon as I get all my stout ingredients brewed up
Thanks
ukulele01
Favourite Beer: Feels Good

Post #3 by ukulele01 » 3 years ago

Hi there. Just wondering where you are finding dark molasses, and how much iron does it contain?

In my area Crosby's dominates the market. Crosby's only makes fancy and blackstrap, plus a "cooking" molasses with is a blend of fancy (25%) and blackstrap (75%). Fancy doesn't have much flavour and their blackstrap molasses is very high in iron; I find it gives my beer a metallic taste unless limited to the very smallest amounts. I can't find dark molasses anywhere.
ukulele01
Favourite Beer: Feels Good

Post #4 by ukulele01 » 3 years ago

ukulele01 wrote:Hi there. Just wondering where you are finding dark molasses, and how much iron does it contain?

In my area Crosby's dominates the market. Crosby's only makes fancy and blackstrap, plus a "cooking" molasses which is a blend of fancy (25%) and blackstrap (75%). Fancy doesn't have much flavour and their blackstrap molasses is very high in iron; I find it gives my beer a metallic taste unless limited to the very smallest amounts. I can't find dark molasses anywhere.
bellybuster

Post #5 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

id be willing to bet Crosby's Fancy is what he is using.

Bulk Barn also carries a couple different molasses
delo978

Post #6 by delo978 » 3 years ago

ukulele01 wrote:Hi there. Just wondering where you are finding dark molasses, and how much iron does it contain?

In my area Crosby's dominates the market. Crosby's only makes fancy and blackstrap, plus a "cooking" molasses with is a blend of fancy (25%) and blackstrap (75%). Fancy doesn't have much flavour and their blackstrap molasses is very high in iron; I find it gives my beer a metallic taste unless limited to the very smallest amounts. I can't find dark molasses anywhere.

Sorry for the late reply, i was away on vacation......I use Crosby Fancy Molasses (1 box 675g). Maybe my tastebuds are out but I've had no issues with a metalic taste nor has it been mentioned from any of my friends.

Hope that helps

Cheers
BansheeBrew
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #7 by BansheeBrew » 3 years ago

I brewed this up a few weeks ago and was about to bottle on Tuesday. I noticed it tastes way to malty for me. Luckly I noticed you transfer into the secondary for a week, i was about to skip that step.
I added an ounce of Fuggles (all i had). Hopefully that mellows the malty/molasses a bit.

How much priming sugar (dextrose) do you use? I typically use 120 to 140g
Og was 1060
Fg was 1017 so far
Should have about 18ltrs.
Any input?

Excuse any incorrect terminology as im still pretty new at this.
oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post #8 by oro » 3 years ago

base your priming sugar on the volume of beer, and your desired carb level

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...
delo978

Post #9 by delo978 » 3 years ago

BansheeBrew wrote:I brewed this up a few weeks ago and was about to bottle on Tuesday. I noticed it tastes way to malty for me. Luckly I noticed you transfer into the secondary for a week, i was about to skip that step.
I added an ounce of Fuggles (all i had). Hopefully that mellows the malty/molasses a bit.

How much priming sugar (dextrose) do you use? I typically use 120 to 140g
Og was 1060
Fg was 1017 so far
Should have about 18ltrs.
Any input?

Excuse any incorrect terminology as im still pretty new at this.

Letting it sit in the secondary for a while will definetly tone it down. 130g of dextrose is the appropriate amount for bottling. Sorry to hear it's too Malty for you....hope it turns out once it melows a bit. If you bottle and after 2 weeks priming still find it overpowerfull I recommend letting it sit for an additional 3 weeks.
BansheeBrew
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #10 by BansheeBrew » 3 years ago

Just an update, I let this sit in the secondary for another week and bottled for three or so now.
I can say this is my best all grain so far! (Only 4 deep).
Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Return to “Beer Recipes”