OntarioBeerKegs

Do you run or know of an online home brew supply shop? List it in this forum with a description of what they sell and where they are based.
TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Re: OntarioBeerKegs

Post #31 by TRG » 5 years ago

Reignman wrote:TRG, all of my ss fittings were ordered from California. This was around 5 years ago. It was very frustrating trying to find basic ss fittings that were common in most set-ups in the US, but were absent here in Canada. Drove me nuts!!! Now they are readily available now thanks to Patrick and others who know what we want.

I agree. I had to spend $20 on shipping 4 camlock fittings and 2 compression fittings to finish up my HERMS coil in my HLT. The best I could do in Canada, was brass. I'll stick to stainless. Patrick is bang on with his business model, filling a much needed gap. :cheers:
OntarioBeerkegs

Post #32 by OntarioBeerkegs » 5 years ago

Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #33 by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Image

Patrick,

Sounds like a great addition to your website!

I have used liquid yeast only a couple of times, and when I have used it, I brought it right back from the store in an ice pack and put it directly in the fridge until ready to use - usually within a week or so.

If shipped to my location, I would guess it would be in transit for at least a couple of days - would it still likely be ok if I put it in the fridge as soon as received?

I'm not sure what to expect typically in terms of "Use by" dates - would I expect it to be ok for perhaps a month, and would the fact that it had warmed in transit then been cooled back down affect things? I would probably prefer order a few at a time to save on shipping.

Maybe other folks with more experience in this can comment. I have been mostly using good quality dry yeasts because of lack of local availability and substantially higher cost of liquid yeasts, but this sounds very attractive!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
OntarioBeerkegs

Post #34 by OntarioBeerkegs » 5 years ago

Anywhere in Ontario or Quebec transit times are not an issue. In summer a icepack would be needed. Outside of those provinces really only an issue in the summer. Sitting in a cold truck does not hurt yeast. I am an advocate of always using a starter to reduce lag time and increase quality all the time. We have no plans to sell yeast past due as a "sale". I will just pitch it in orders for free if it gets to that.
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #35 by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Anywhere in Ontario or Quebec transit times are not an issue. In summer a icepack would be needed. Outside of those provinces really only an issue in the summer. Sitting in a cold truck does not hurt yeast. I am an advocate of always using a starter to reduce lag time and increase quality all the time. We have no plans to sell yeast past due as a "sale". I will just pitch it in orders for free if it gets to that.

Thanks Patrick, I'm sure I will be ordering!

I probably didn't explain myself well enough on one point of my post. I wasn't suggesting you might sell product at, or past its sell by date. What I was curious about was this .........

Suppose I bought a couple of vials in midsummer and they took a couple of days in transit - I would imagine the icepack would have warmed up by the time they arrived.

Now, supposing they had a couple of months to go before being stale dated.

What i was wondering was whether or not the fact that they had warmed up in transit would be expected to have much, or any, significant effect in reducing remaining shelf-life, assuming I got them back in the fridge sap upon arrival?

Hope that is a better explanation!

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #36 by Reignman » 5 years ago

I have ordered liquid yeast in the summer with an ice pack and had no issues.
gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Post #37 by gm- » 5 years ago

Good price on that yeast, will order some for sure. Thanks!
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH
OntarioBeerkegs

Post #38 by OntarioBeerkegs » 5 years ago

Wingeezer wrote:
OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Anywhere in Ontario or Quebec transit times are not an issue. In summer a icepack would be needed. Outside of those provinces really only an issue in the summer. Sitting in a cold truck does not hurt yeast. I am an advocate of always using a starter to reduce lag time and increase quality all the time. We have no plans to sell yeast past due as a "sale". I will just pitch it in orders for free if it gets to that.

Thanks Patrick, I'm sure I will be ordering!

I probably didn't explain myself well enough on one point of my post. I wasn't suggesting you might sell product at, or past its sell by date. What I was curious about was this .........

Suppose I bought a couple of vials in midsummer and they took a couple of days in transit - I would imagine the icepack would have warmed up by the time they arrived.

Now, supposing they had a couple of months to go before being stale dated.

What i was wondering was whether or not the fact that they had warmed up in transit would be expected to have much, or any, significant effect in reducing remaining shelf-life, assuming I got them back in the fridge sap upon arrival?

Hope that is a better explanation!

Brian

Too your location most cases would be there in two days. Unless it is a heatwave I would not worry too much. Give the vial some food a day or two before pitching to get them energized and get a good pitching rate and enjoy.
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER
Baulz
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #39 by Baulz » 5 years ago

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:New products coming!

-OBKrusher. Our very own Barley crusher. Going to retail for 99 bones. Will ship with some assembly (few screws for the hopper and bolt the base on).
-Stir plates. Same ones as seen at our competitors. Will retail for much less then the prices Canadians have been getting hosed with.
-Keg Gloves. Yup, the actual keg gloves just without the logo. Same manufacturer.
-Silicon tubing. Thick walled 1/2" - 3/4" FDA approved and so on. We found out who sells it to MCmaster Carr.
-Around 60 odds and ends, mostly stainless fittings.

For the new brewers, check us out we have more kits available then anyone else for extract and partials in Canada and it is going to double over the next few months if have time. Our all grain kits are slower because they are user submitted. Many award winners in the mix though!

Thank you to all who are entering our Pro Am! We have more participants then Torontobeerweek did. We are already looking at running a Summer version.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Cheers,
Patrick.

Hi Patrick, any updates on some of the new stuff? Tubing, fittings, etc.
OntarioBeerkegs

Post #40 by OntarioBeerkegs » 5 years ago

It's on any day status.
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

Return to “Online Canadian Homebrew Supply Shops”