deFalcos - Ottawa

Your local homebrew supply shop: whether you love it or hate it, chances are you need it. Help others find it by listing it here!
DougEdey
Favourite Beer: Porter

deFalcos - Ottawa

Post #1 by DougEdey » 6 years ago

Mainly for people new (like me) to the area.

DeFalcos have a couple of stores in town and are great for beginners advice as well as starter kits.

defalcowines.com
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: deFalcos - Ottawa

Post #2 by XXXXX » 6 years ago

Defalco wines is a great store. Good selection of grain, hops, brewing supplies, taps, lines, etc.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
Gingie

Post #3 by Gingie » 3 years ago

Anyone know if Defalco's can mill grains in-store? I'm getting more into AG, but not so much so I want to drop $$$ on a mill.
Primary: Kolsch in a tub sink with ice packs
Conditioning: Irish Stout, Kentish Ale, Citra IPA, Sparkling cider
Up Next: Saison
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #4 by Reignman » 3 years ago

If you are getting into AG, I would suggest that you buy a grain mill. It will last for years.
Gingie

Post #5 by Gingie » 3 years ago

I confirm the location on Moodie drive has a grinder. Just pay for the grain up front and then grind away.

I would like to add that the staff at Defalco's were super helpful and friendly.
Primary: Kolsch in a tub sink with ice packs
Conditioning: Irish Stout, Kentish Ale, Citra IPA, Sparkling cider
Up Next: Saison
Frugalcanuck

Post #6 by Frugalcanuck » 3 years ago

I haven't had a good experience with DeFalcos yet. Be wary of the best before dates on any ingredients you buy. Also they have their hops sitting out on the shelf, not being refrigerated.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #7 by Reignman » 3 years ago

I was in there a few years ago and the hops were in the fridge, but the dry yeast was on a shelf. They have always been a wine shop and just don't have a clue about beer. I hope they store their liquid yeast in the fridge.
Ayeart
Favourite Beer: Downtown Brown

Post #8 by Ayeart » 1 year ago

I can only speak from experience at the Moodie location at present (all of the posts here are at least a year old), but things are considerably better than what some people here are saying.

First, both their hops and yeasts (liquid and dry) are refrigerated. Second, their prices on hops, yeast, and equipment are better than pretty much any other place I've found online, and that's without even factoring in shipping (though they do themselves ship if you're not in the Ottawa area).

Main downsides I've found are they only sell hop pellets, so if you want cones or leaves, you've gotta go elsewhere. Their prices on grain are decent unless you're looking at certain specialty or darker varieties, and their selection is pretty limited (I had to make a lot of substitutions before I started ordering grains online). The prices on their liquid extracts is great, but selection is very limited, with only light, amber and dark, and only in 1.3 kg containers (which unfortunately. 2 containers translates to just under the 6 lbs LME called for in a lot of 5 gallon recipes, so you've gotta make that up with DME, or make smaller or larger batches, or higher gravity beers). Their selection of dry extracts is fine, but their prices are quite a bit higher than most other places I've seen online.

So yeah, I tend to order my DME and specialty grains elsewhere, and get everything else I need from them, and it's been working out great.

Return to “Local Homebrew Supply Shops”