The Brew Kettle - Peterborough, ON

Your local homebrew supply shop: whether you love it or hate it, chances are you need it. Help others find it by listing it here!
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

The Brew Kettle - Peterborough, ON

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 6 years ago

The Brew Kettle is, as far as I'm aware... the only homebrew supply shop in or around Peterborough. They are located at 774 Rye St. Unit #20 (Tucked neatly behind in the Rye Park Industrial Mall) and offer beer and wine brew-on-premises, as well as many essentials for the homebrewer. The staff are friendly and helpful, and their website can be found at http://www.brewkettle.net/

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: The Brew Kettle - Peterborough, ON

Post by Reignman » 6 years ago

Find out if they bring in their grains "pre-crushed". If so, don't use them. I think Kelceys in East City has homebrew kits and stuff, but Brew Kettle has a bigger selection.

Mr_Tastyfish

I have picked up a couple bags of grains, and yes they were pre-crushed. I didn't see it as being a problem, and since I don't have a grain mill... it was actually more convenient. Perhaps you could explain why pre-crushed grains are to be avoided?

Also, I've never heard of Kelcey's. What part of east city are they located in?

Baulz
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Baulz » 6 years ago

I buy from Brewkettle sometimes, bulk yeast when they used to carry Nottingham and irish moss tablets. Plus airlocks, stoppers, hydrometers, etc. They have told me they want to stock more to help homebrewers, but I don't see much evidence of that.

Mr_Tastyfish, it seems like there are a bunch of homebrewers in town that might be able to loan a grain mill, or at least mill some for you. Send a msg if you need anything, I always overbuy specialty grains and trade back and forth with some friends as needed.

opiela

Post by opiela » 6 years ago

don't they have a malt house right in Peterborough? can't you just buy grain direct?

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 6 years ago

Reignman wrote:Find out if they bring in their grains "pre-crushed". If so, don't use them. I think Kelceys in East City has homebrew kits and stuff, but Brew Kettle has a bigger selection.
Any specific reason why you wouldn't purchase their grains pre crushed? I'm not familiar with this LHBS at all, but just curious.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 6 years ago

Depends on how old the pre-crushed grain is and how it is stored. If Brew Kettle stores it in air tight plastic buckets maybe 2-3 months. What if it is like a year old or more? The only way to know is to ask. Brew Kettle should have their own Mill and crush it right there when you buy it.

Mr_Tastyfish

Reignman wrote:Depends on how old the pre-crushed grain is and how it is stored. If Brew Kettle stores it in air tight plastic buckets maybe 2-3 months. What if it is like a year old or more? The only way to know is to ask. Brew Kettle should have their own Mill and crush it right there when you buy it.
The specialty grains I picked up were in plastic ziploc bags. Really, no idea how long they'd been on the shelf (I guess I should have asked).
Baulz wrote:Mr_Tastyfish, it seems like there are a bunch of homebrewers in town that might be able to loan a grain mill, or at least mill some for you. Send a msg if you need anything, I always overbuy specialty grains and trade back and forth with some friends as needed.
This sounds like a great idea. Is there some kind of Peterborough Brewer's club, or do I just need to make a few new friends?

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 6 years ago

Reignman wrote:Depends on how old the pre-crushed grain is and how it is stored. If Brew Kettle stores it in air tight plastic buckets maybe 2-3 months. What if it is like a year old or more? The only way to know is to ask. Brew Kettle should have their own Mill and crush it right there when you buy it.
I'm pretty sure that this topic has come up before on here, but milled base grains will last a lot longer than 2-3 months. They'll last many many months when stored in a cool dry place. And milled specialty grains last even longer, ie over a year, before they will lose their efficiency. Of course this all assumes that they are stored properly. :)

ben58
Favourite Beer: APA

Post by ben58 » 6 years ago

Good info to know in regards to Peterborough, as I will be retiring that way, probably Buckhorn area. Unfortunately, that is 7 years out unless the lottery gods favour the wife and I.