Ontario Beer Kegs

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

Ontario Beer Kegs

Post by Patrickivan » 2 years ago

Wow- I had some minor customer service issues a while ago when I was trying to order something. They were being difficult about helping me substitute something... But whatever.

This time my yeast showed up warm (yes- got the ice pack) after 1 day in transit.

But instead of offering any assistance when I bring up the issue of a failed weissbier starting, I get accusations that my pitch temp was too high. Though I was intentionally vague in my answer to them, because I was curious why they refused to address the warm "cold" pack that I received.

SO then their response was my pitch temp was too high and they can't help me with a replacement pack of yeast (even though technically I didn't ask- I was also vague and asked how much to get me a new one STAT).

Then they emailed me again and blamed the weather.

Seriously- they must be doing pretty bloody well to spurn a steady customer like that. Monthly orders. Not huge, but wow... Just take a piss on your customer. And I wasn't rude. The last email, I did rag on their lousy customer service, but no swearing. No name calling.

Wow- I'm just blown away by this. So now I'm stuck with 1 place that I can get grains in Ontario. Toronto Brew Co. They're okay, but it's a little inconvenient and their prices are a little higher.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Patrickivan

Re: Ontario Beer Kegs

And now they're telling me to relax. Take another gravity reading and wait up to 72 hours.

And I would have been fine waiting, per their initial email, until they put the blame on me, and then on the heat wave, and accepted not one iota of responsibility for a potentially failed product. Ie the cold pack.

George Nathan

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

sorry for the bad experience
I have yet to get a cool yeast, they always show up warm, even with ice pack, but I also have yet to get a yeast that didn't survive just fine.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

Me too. It was never an issue with me. I have always worried more in the dead of winter that it will freeze in my rural mailbox. My Canada Post driver puts all OBK's and TB in my front hall now.

Patrickivan

I've ordered the cold pack for the summer orders. And this was the first one to show up warm, and it was only a day shipping.

The good news is that the yeast took after 48 hours. No temperature variation. I was worried because I've been taking more steps in my mash temps, trying to make my weissbiers as tasty as possible.

My issue was their response. It was so dismissive, first being that the cold packs don't work, then in my pitch temp, and then telling me to just wait...

For $10 this should not have been a big customer service issue for them. And I didn't even ask for them to comp me on a replacement yeast. I had asked for how quick they could get me one. If that yeast hadn't taken, I didn't want it sitting around...

Just so incredibly dismissive on the whole thing. Seriously, don't sell cold packs if you are going to tell me they won't work when it's warm... Don't blame the weather, then the product you sell, and then say that it's buyer beware. And then don't ignore you said that and blame me on my brew process without having the facts.

And finally, don't tell me to relax when it's my money on the line.

But I guess they don't need this long term customer anymore. Or maybe I haven't been buying from them long enough- but you'd think monthly orders since October of last year would be sufficient to care.

So I'll buy from elsewhere. Not that there are a hell of a lot of well priced options central Ontario.

George Nathan

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 2 years ago

Always these guys. Haven't used them before, so not sure how they compare price wise.

http://www.beergrains.com/

Diceman
Favourite Beer: Vienna Ale

Post by Diceman » 2 years ago

I left for work at 5:30 am the other day and it was 27 deg with 90 percent humidity .... I called Ontario beer kegs ...
fermenter : high gravity fermented Vienna Lager , re-fermenting with abbey ale yeast . kinda experiment .

OntarioBeerkegs

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » 2 years ago

That is unfortunate. When you emailed and stated your batch from the previous day had not started we did respond with the best advice possible.

To take a hydrometer reading and check your wort in a day or two. That strain is a slow starter and just needed time. I also requested to know your pitching temps so I could advise that very important often overlooked issue if it was applicable.

After re reading your email I did fail to quote you a replacement sorry. I failed to answer your question directly when I was given you information on the strain being a slow starter.

I am very glad it did start for you after 48 hours as expected.

Regards
Patrick
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

Patrickivan

I have to say that the tone from your first response to my first email was quite different than what I'm seeing here. Mine escalated in frustration as a direct result.

But keep in mind, my initial issue was with it not starting based on the temperature that the pack arrived. Warm. And the cold pack being equally warm. Within 1 day's shipping. And you dismissing that as being a possible issue and then blaming the temperature for both the cold pack being warm, and then the pitch temp being too high.

And having not had ANY issues with my weissbiers starting so long after pitching, the issues mentioned above, yes, my concern was valid. I just wanted a new pack as backup as soon as possible in case it didn't start... I wasn't even asking to be comped (at first)... Just a price and how fast you could get it to me.

That said: I actually do appreciate your response here because it's a positive business move for OBK to provide feedback.

In the end, the beer is chugging along nicely. It'll be ready for my friend's very big Oktoberfest in 2 weeks. And I bloody well love my wheat beers.

Prost

George Nathan

Patrickivan

Diceman wrote:I left for work at 5:30 am the other day and it was 27 deg with 90 percent humidity .... I called Ontario beer kegs ...
Huh?

George Nathan