Migrants....

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Re: Migrants....

Post by oro »

^ I can see others opinions upset you as they don't align with your reality and I can understand that and certainly understand your views and except them fully. I only expect anyone coming to our country to simply do what I would do if I entered there country, learn the language, join what ever customs exist as I moved there to part of there country, share mine if there was interest, and do my best to integrate with them, work my ass off, never ask them to stop a tradition they have nor expect them to learn my language in order to communicate, never ask for a hand out or special treatment. My words traditional Canadian would have a different picture for anyone as we all think differently, this was very simply my view I hope you understand.

When I imagine a traditional Canadian I picture a mounty, a trapper, fur trader, lumberjack, first nations(although some don't recognize Canada and I am perfect with that) - I actually googled traditional Canadian to see what images popped up seems my image is widely shared, and I don't say this to further upset you only to show its a common viewpoint

from what I see integration is not working in allot of cases present day, this is going to come to head unfortunately as its going to be very,very ugly
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

oro wrote:^ I can see others opinions upset you as they don't align with your reality
Are you surprised? Your 'opinion' is that my whole entire family is somehow not "traditional Canadian" - even though parts of my family have been in Canada far longer than your "english-speaking protestant traditional canadians". Moreover, you demonstrated a pretty horrific dearth of knowledge of both immigration in the past, as well as of todays immigrants. Maybe, instead of googling pictures of 'traditional canadians', you should google Canadian immigrants - because it would pretty quickly show that everything you claimed was typical of them (not willing to work, not willing to learn english, expecting stuff for free, etc) was completely false:
  1. They work longer hours than citizens, usually for lesser pay
  2. They don't get free money,they get loans which they have to pay back. All other benefits they receive are the same as regular citizens, with the same qualifications and requirements.
  3. They do want to learn English/French (assuming they don't already - 30% or so do) - to the point where there isn't sufficient ESL classroom/services available
  4. They commit fewer crimes than citizens, and indeed, having immigrants in your community makes your community safer
oro wrote:My words traditional Canadian would have a different picture for anyone as we all think differently, this was very simply my view I hope you understand.
That's not what you said in your last couple of posts. Your last couple of posts, you made it pretty clear that to be like a traditional canadian everyone had to be an English-speaking protestant (or, at least, English-speaking christian).
oro wrote:I actually googled traditional Canadian to see what images popped up seems my image is widely shared
Really? ]All I get is poutine - and someone dressed in Ukrainian garb.
oro wrote:from what I see integration is not working in allot of cases present day, this is going to come to head unfortunately as its going to be very,very ugly
Pickup a history book, its no different today than in the past. There is a reason why most large cities in Canada have Greek sections, Italian quarters, China towns, etc. Likewise, there is a reason why Canada is covered in small towns with German, Russian, French, Celtic, Ukrainian, etc names. Its because, when those people came here, they formed their own communities, maintained their language, traditions, etc - and in the past, unlike today, this tenancy often resulted in great violence and conflicts with your 'traditional canadians'. Haven't had race riots in this country in a few decades...seems like our new immigrants are doing just fine.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

oro

Post by oro »

Ok warthaug, I can tell no matter what a persons view is if it does not perfectly align with your view you will dissect it trying to find the evil within, even if it does not exist. I think your family is very Canadian, in fact "traditional Canadian" :cheers:

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

I never ascribed evil, racism, etc to your world view. Ignorance, yes, but that is neither an accusation of evil nor racism.

Like it or not, as you originally stated it, your 'opinion' of what makes someone Canadian is very offensive to a large portion of Canadians. And like it or not, all most of your claims about modern immigrants to Canada were demonstrably false.

But hey, if blaming me for pointing out that your opinions are offensive to many and factually unsupported lets you sleep at night, go at er.

B

EDIT: at the risk of this turning into :deadhorse: and :beat: and :banghead:, why don't we call it a day and :bighug: + :cheers:

EDIT: by :bighug: I mean kiss-and-makeup, not become romantically involved...
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX »

:popcorn:
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

oro

Post by oro »

Warthaug wrote:I never ascribed evil, racism, etc to your world view. Ignorance, yes, but that is neither an accusation of evil nor racism.

Like it or not, as you originally stated it, your 'opinion' of what makes someone Canadian is very offensive to a large portion of Canadians. And like it or not, all most of your claims about modern immigrants to Canada were demonstrably false.

But hey, if blaming me for pointing out that your opinions are offensive to many and factually unsupported lets you sleep at night, go at er.

B

EDIT: at the risk of this turning into :deadhorse: and :beat: and :banghead:, why don't we call it a day and :bighug: + :cheers:

EDIT: by :bighug: I mean kiss-and-makeup, not become romantically involved...

Exactly :cheers:

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

On a more distracting, positive note...

I saw the first hops shoot. It is February 28 and I am in Calgary...