how many retired

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Re: how many retired

Post #11 by Dee Envy » 2 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:Don't tell me that, I'm about to dive head first into self employment after having been roped into it since February... 2016 is going to be my year... (although I said that in 2013, 2014 and 2015 lol)

LOL.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have done it so long if I didn't enjoy it.
There are far better benefits than any other employment, and it is four times as much work.
But like they say, if you work at what you love, you will never have to work again. ;)
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post #12 by kombat » 2 years ago

Dee Envy wrote:But like they say, if you work at what you love, you will never have to work again. ;)

Or another way to look at it, you're always at work. ;)
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post #13 by Winger » 2 years ago

Retired and loving it. :cheers:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #14 by Wingeezer » 2 years ago

Well, I must be close to holding the record as the forum old timer - that, plus my Goldwing bike accounts for my name on the forum! (I use it on other non-brewing forums as well.)

I opted for an early retirement from CN 17 years ago after 34 years there as an Engineer (desk type, not locomotive!)

I had the opportunity to accept a "Golden handshake" when the company was downsizing and figured that since the house was paid, the kids were gone and the pension was decent, why not!?

Turned out to have been a good decision for me. No regrets at all about going early (56), $$ is working out fine, and besides, the Golden Handshake offers dried up the year after I left so i would have been out of luck at that point!

Initially I suspected that out of boredom I'd be looking for some low pressure part time work after a few months, but just never did get bored!

I did get offered the opportunity a couple of times to return to CN on a consulting basis, but by that time I had discovered how relaxing retirement was - plus had too many hobbies and I just didn't feel like marching to someone else's drum anymore!!

Brian,
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
BottomsUp
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #15 by BottomsUp » 2 years ago

Wingeezer wrote:Well, I must be close to holding the record as the forum old timer - that, plus my Goldwing bike accounts for my name on the forum! (

I'm not too far behind, Brian. I retired a year and a half ago at the age of 66. I could not take advantage of early retirement since I had to continue working to maximize my pension in that year (along with no benefits like dental, health, etc.) since my wife decided to stay home with our children during their formative years and has very little pension as a result (no regrets - all our children turned out great and all went to gifted school as a result). If I had maximized my pension earlier, I would have retired much sooner. I don't have a Goldwing. but have a Honda Shadow Ace. I also have far too many hobbies and interests to even consider part time. I don't know how I had time for work before!

BTW, interesting comment at the bottom of your message about "saving the whales". I'm currently reading an excellent book about the intelligence and social aptitude of dolphins (possibly beyond that of humans), and also about their abuse in places such as Niagara's Marineland and their mass destruction in various places such as Japan. The book is "Voices in the Ocean" by Susan Casey. A great book if you decide to read it.
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #16 by Wingeezer » 2 years ago

BottomsUp wrote:
Wingeezer wrote:Well, I must be close to holding the record as the forum old timer - that, plus my Goldwing bike accounts for my name on the forum! (

I'm not too far behind, Brian. I retired a year and a half ago at the age of 66. I could not take advantage of early retirement since I had to continue working to maximize my pension in that year (along with no benefits like dental, health, etc.) since my wife decided to stay home with our children during their formative years and has very little pension as a result (no regrets - all our children turned out great and all went to gifted school as a result). If I had maximized my pension earlier, I would have retired much sooner. I don't have a Goldwing. but have a Honda Shadow Ace. I also have far too many hobbies and interests to even consider part time. I don't know how I had time for work before!

BTW, interesting comment at the bottom of your message about "saving the whales". I'm currently reading an excellent book about the intelligence and social aptitude of dolphins (possibly beyond that of humans), and also about their abuse in places such as Niagara's Marineland and their mass destruction in various places such as Japan. The book is "Voices in the Ocean" by Susan Casey. A great book if you decide to read it.

Haha,

I have to admit the "Whales" thing included my signature was just a bit of a tongue in cheek thing I picked up somewhere on the internet and thought was a bit funny! you know - like baseball cards, save the whole set!

But thinking about it, no doubt whales are living in increasingly difficult times, a nd maybe the little joke is not in the best taste and I should remove it!

I also had a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace I bought new before trading it in on the Goldwing in 2006.

It was my first bike in many years, and I loved it, great being back on two wheels! I have had bikes on and off over the years since age 13 - along with Brit sports cars!

I even use the Ace to participate in an "Iron Butt 1600" ride (1600km in under 24 hrs.) and found it so comfortable I didn't want to stop when I reached the finish line! (I did have a very comfortable set of aftermarket Mustang seats on it along with a bunch of other mods!_

I only moved to the Goldwing because I wanted to do some more serious touring with my Mrs. on it and the Ace just was not big enough for that Even with the Goldwing I had to build a small luggage trailer to tow behind for the longer trips so the two of us coud tavel comfortably for extended periods and that has worked out well.

The Goldwing has taken us from Burlington to Halifax, Vancouver Island, Florida, and numerous shorter trips. Its a real highway touring machine for sure!

As the years roll by though it feels just a little heavier each year (actual wt is around 900 lbs) and I'm thinking maybe before I get myself in trouble, I should trade on something with 4 wheels - still as a hobby vehicle though! Miata? BMW Z4? Porsche? (if retirement income will run to that!) They say enjoy your savings ......... if not, your kids will! Maybe some truth in that - in moderation!

Back to homebrew stuff !

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”