Difficulty in moving across provincial borders

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Difficulty in moving across provincial borders

Post by Venari » 3 years ago

As some of you may have been aware, I have recently moved from Igloolik, Nunavut to Ottawa, Ontario. I thought it would be a straight forward process, but I figure here is a good spot to rant about some of the difficulties I've come across in the process.

Identification
Switching your ID should be a fairly simple process. Show up with some sort of proof of address (in my case, some mail from a creditor, since apparently a hand written letter from the friend who's letting me live in her basement apparently just wont do), and they provide you with a new provincial photo ID. Problems arise when you've had a recent legal name change and no official certificate. The government of nunavut is ok with sending out a court document with seals (read: rubber stamped ink) on a sheet of 8x11 regular paper. And if I were to remain in Nunavut, this is MORE than enough, because Inuit are not generally a very officious people. For many of them, your word is good enough. Heck, they'll even give you what you need with only a verbal promise to come back later and pay the fee! (actually occurred when I switched to a Nunavut license three years ago)

Come to Ontario, however, and everything needs to be signed in triplicate with supporting documentation. And a sheet of 8x11 with stamps on it is not an "official document". So now I'm waiting to hear back from Nunavut to see if they have some sort of official certificate available. In the meantime, I'm stuck with a Nunavut driver's license, which is thankfully unrestricted (the majority of Nunavut licenses are restricted only to Nunavut).

Job Hunt
After working with the RCMP in Igloolik, I've decided to go for a job in security here in Ottawa. Iron Horse offers courses to teach you what you need to know to pass the provincial licensing tests. After they kept pushing back the start date on the course for three weeks, I've decided to go it alone. However, many companies will not accept a Nunavut driver's license. So in the meantime, I've been going to LabourReady for employment, until I can get my identification issues sorted out. Now I, the clean cut guy with clean clothes, has to compete with the guys who live in a Mission for work. This sounds like I should be first in line, but there's a lot of resentment when a guy who doesn't look like he needs the money gets the work over the guys who do. I'm still debating if this is better than going back to a retail environment. I hate retail work, but at least it's indoors, and regular.

Lack of Brewing
Since I had to abandon all of my brewing equipment in Igloolik, I haven't been able to do any brewing here in Ottawa where all the ingredients are cheaper and easier to access. Until I've sorted out a source of regular income, I wont be able to continue in this wonderful hobby.

Long story short: I can't brew any liquid gold because I don't have an Ontario Driver's license.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: Difficulty in moving across provincial borders

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Venari, I feel your pain brother but....... having moved from province to province as well as a few different countries I have learned that research is a wonderful thing. All these ID issues could have come to light with a bit of research before hand.
A hand written letter from a friend won't do as official residence proof anywhere in the world, I'm having a hard time grasping what exactly you expected. How can you not have documentation of a name change? The gov't of Nunavut is doing its people little favour by not requiring proper documentation.
As far as Iron Horse, there are several companies in Ottawa that offer security training. It is a gov';t mandated curriculum so it matters little where you obtain the training. Iron Horse just happens to be the most expensive as well. You can also do it online.
Seeing as you are on a job hunt, you may be entitled to EI. Make a visit to Services Canada and find out, you could be missing out on a paycheque. They also may be able to assist you in getting the training you desire.

just for interest, security companies not only won't hire you without the certificate, they can't by law.

Keep your head up, pointed in one direction with conviction and things will come your way

Venari

I'm not saying I expected a job without the certificate. I just find it hard to GET the certificate.

Considering the hand written letter from a friend....she's allowing me to live in her basement. I don't have a rental agreement or lease. How else am I to prove I live there?

I was on EI once. What they paid me was LESS than rent. That's when i discovered LabourReady, and have been going back there anytime I found myself unemployed (only 3 times across 13 years, to date).

The lack of documentation regarding my name change is an example of how things work in Nunavut. Things move slowly, and the people will take you at your word if you tell them something. Getting a driver's license in Nunavut could be a year long process. I had to wait about 6 months to receive mine. Others have waited up to 10 months. One co-worker received his a month before it expired, requiring him to wait for it's replacement. At this point, if you were to tell an RCMP officer who's pulled you over (never happens in Nunavut) that you don't have a driver's license because you're still waiting for it, they believe you.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

bellybuster

Venari wrote: Considering the hand written letter from a friend....she's allowing me to live in her basement. I don't have a rental agreement or lease. How else am I to prove I live there?

Too easy, get her to right up or download a rental agreement. Problem solved. If you don't have that or utility bills, you're simply shackin there

I was on EI once. What they paid me was LESS than rent.

EI is based on the income you made in the past 52 months up to a maximum of $450/week. It is meant to help you when employment is sporadic or non existent. It's damned fine insurance for the meager payments we make into it

The lack of documentation regarding my name change is an example of how things work in Nunavut. Things move slowly, and the people will take you at your word if you tell them something.

So you left a court house with no documentation after a name change?? My guess is your change wasn't ever made.

Not tryin to give you a hard time Venari, sorry if it comes across that way. You ain't in Kansas anymore my man.

Venari

bellybuster wrote:
So you left a court house with no documentation after a name change?? My guess is your change wasn't ever made.

There was no court house. it was all done via snail mail. The documentation they sent me was a piece of paper with the judge's signature on it stating that my name was changed from X to Y. But Ontario's DriveTest will not recognize this as an official court document despite the sig and seal. Also, I have a Nunavut driver's license AND a passport with the new name on it, but DriveTest will not use that name, because as far as they're concerned, I'm a separate person trying to get somebody elses (my old name) driver's license under my (new) name, as the court document isn't proof enough of my new identity(not sure if that's clear). They cannot simply issue a driver's license under the new name because somehow my old Ontario license is still in their records interferring with the process.

Sounds fairly simple to me: I have government issued photo ID with the new name, why can't they simply issue the Ontario license under this new name?

bellybuster

Have you used their phone number yet? They tellers at the drive test centre are like zombies.
1-800-489-8450
The phone number if you can get thru will give you someone or the ability to ask for someone who may be able to help you.

Good luck with it

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 3 years ago

Look on the bright side, Venari! It's -32° C in Igloolik today, and 13° C in Ottawa! :)

But seriously, if you're itching to brew, I'll be brewing in December and would welcome a helping hand. PM me your Ottawa cell # if you have one, and I'll text you when I've got a brew coming up.

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 3 years ago

I found Ontario to be the hardest province for paper work and BS in general, BC no issue with health card, drivers licence, same as Alberta no issues. Returned to Ontario and the nightmare started and I was born and raised here.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 3 years ago

I agree oro. Lived in AB for 6 yrs, was pretty easy getting all set up with ID etc. there, when coming back home to ON (still not sure why I did that) it was a giant PITA. Especially for my wife, since we got married when we lived in AB and she previously had an ON license under her maiden name, she had to go through the same BS you are going through Venari, to the point where we had to get our marriage certificate re-translated (it was in spanish) by a Ontario recognized translator and a bunch of other crap. Her AB license with her married name meant nothing to them, along with passport, healthcard etc etc. The red tape in this province comes wrapped in red tape.

Venari

bellybuster wrote:Have you used their phone number yet? They tellers at the drive test centre are like zombies.
1-800-489-8450
The phone number if you can get thru will give you someone or the ability to ask for someone who may be able to help you.

Good luck with it
The folks on the phone also say my court document isn't a valid document, even though Service Canada had no issues using it to issue a passport to me.

Now to wait for the email reply from Nunavut, because apparently nobody up there picks up a phone.