We live in Canada!

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: We live in Canada!

Post #11 by Goulaigan » 3 years ago

Yip, BIABacus here as well, the only time I don't use metric is in the how many gallons thread.
Impending Disaster
Favourite Beer: Hefeweizen

Post #12 by Impending Disaster » 3 years ago

I'm training myself to use metic exclusively, and I convert all the recipes I'm interested in to metric. I always get confused with how many ounces in a couple of fluid inches and what not. I really hate instructions that mix the two. I've found statements like "Mix 1.2 tablespoons of Stuff into 3.3 liters of water".
Nonsense is nonsense but the history of nonsense is scholarship
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #13 by Warthaug » 3 years ago

I'm 100% metric. Aside from inches I just don't get imperial - and I only get inches because of all the renovating I do....

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #14 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

I think a better query would be how old are you and what systems do you use.

I'm 50 and use both, often at the same time.
GreatBrewEh

Post #15 by GreatBrewEh » 3 years ago

jamatron wrote:I'd like to hear some opinions of fellow brewers regarding brewing units and measures. I know when i buy gas and check the weather its in liters and ºC. Are we so so influenced on a CANADIAN brew site by the U.S. that all our recipes and comments are in gallons and ºF :S C'mon folks who in Canada is using the fahrenheit scale!.... :deadhorse: I know its easy to convert but it is till is a pet peeve of mine. I SAY WE RAISE OUR BEERS TO THE CANADIAN FLAG AND UNITE! BECOME ONE WITH THE METRIC SYSTEM!.....but lets keep measuring with feet and inches until we get to kilometers and weigh ourselves in LBS not KG's lol! :facepalm:

I really wish I could take this ride with ya...... after my 4th home-brew on brew-day I cannot do the conversion any longer so why fight it, I just use the imperialistic system... :drunk:
"BREW BIG OR GO HOME!
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #16 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

The use of metric in Canada is mostly voluntary. Complete metrication was never implemented. We truly are bi-system.
Funny to know the U.S. was undergoing metrication at the same time we did but Reagan pulled funding. They are legislated to use metric for trade and commerce. We are not actually.
Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post #17 by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 3 years ago

I brew metric as well... I agree it is a pain constantly having to do recipe conversions. Cheers
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ
OldNelly
Favourite Beer: The one in hand

Post #18 by OldNelly » 3 years ago

I'm a Tradesman and use imperial units almost exclusively at work, that's what I brew in. I was taught metric in school but adopted imperial when I started plumbing so I'm fluent in both.
Whitlock Brewing Co.
kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post #19 by kombat » 3 years ago

My recipes are all in imperial, because that's what's published. The recipes on Homebrew Talk, the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, whenever you Google a recipe ... it's all imperial.

I convert to metric when forced to in a couple key places (weighing out my hops because my scale only reads grams, setting the temperature of my fermentation chamber because my STC-1000 only does Celcius), but everything else is imperial. Even OBK sells hops, grain, PBW, etc. by the pound/ounce, not kilogram/gram. Why fight the system?
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #20 by Canuck » 3 years ago

My control panel is in fahrenheit, but other than that I'm all metric.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”