We live in Canada!

General chit chat forum that may or may not relate to homebrewing.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: We live in Canada!

Post by JimmehBrew »

It's my Pot and I'll do what I want !

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari »

kombat wrote: Why fight the system?
The real question here is, why are the Americans fighting the system? The whole world uses metric, why can't they keep up with the program?

Whereever possible, I use metric.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

ercousin
Favourite Beer: Fruited Lambic

Post by ercousin »

We read american brewing literature, listen to american brewing podcasts, read american blogs, use american software. It's just easier if we use the same system so we can all use the same language when it comes to brewing. If someone tells me they ferment at 20*C I have no idea if that is too hot or not. I know plenty of people that use metric, and I'm never really able to listen to their recipe recaps or process descriptions without having to convert first. 200g of crystal 40L in an IPA, what? The americans are setting the pace for craft beer we might as well be able to talk to them so we can learn.
Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer
https://ericbrews.wordpress.com/

GTA Brews - Toronto's Local Homebrew Club
http://www.gtabrews.ca/

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd »

ercousin wrote:We read american brewing literature, listen to american brewing podcasts, read american blogs, use american software. It's just easier if we use the same system so we can all use the same language when it comes to brewing. If someone tells me they ferment at 20*C I have no idea if that is too hot or not. I know plenty of people that use metric, and I'm never really able to listen to their recipe recaps or process descriptions without having to convert first. 200g of crystal 40L in an IPA, what? The americans are setting the pace for craft beer we might as well be able to talk to them so we can learn.
Very true that most people listen, watch and read everything american but one thing I've noticed is that most canadian craft breweries are metric. I'm glad that I have kept up on the metric cause it made my moving further in this pation easier :)
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

opercularia
Favourite Beer: ale

Post by opercularia »

As a new brewer, I find it even more confusing than you guys have stated. The Americans don't use Imperial measurements (except feet and inches etc.). Both their gallons and fluid ounces are different (US Fl Oz is over 1 mL larger that the Imp Fl Oz - betcha didn't know that! However, we manage to agree that 1 oz. weight is 28.349 grams).

So we really have to deal with three different units of measurement. Most of the recipes I do are based on 23 L or 5 Imperial gallons. This is 6 USGal. This means that I have to make sure that I order and use a 6.5 gal (US) carboy or pail to make 5 gallons (Imperial) of beer. The only time that I really know what I'm dealing with is when metric measurements are given.

Recipes and ingredients are listed (for colour) as either EBC, SRM or degrees Lovibond. Try to figure out how to reproduce (or modify) a recipe that specifies a colour in EBC when your ingredients are sometimes graded in SRM or other times, as °L (similar, but not quite the same)! (What a hoot! I just noticed that this program is trying to tell me that "colour" is a spelling mistake!!! We are in Canada, right?)

I do BIAB, so for simplicity's sake, I use IanH's spreadsheet (see http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=819). It takes a lot of research to add "our" ingredients, trying to find correct conversions for colour.

Temperature conversions are easy, but I still occasionally get confused. I was raised on °F (yeah, I'm that old), but as a chemical technologist, I do most things in °C. A simple chart by my brew bench keeps it all straight. I found it particularly funny in a recent American post when he complained about temperatures being given in "Canadian degrees" (°C)!

The STC-1000 (one of the most popular temperature controllers out of China) was always in °C, and pissed the Americans off (they had to use a conversion chart posted by their brew bench - aaw!). I see that it is now available in °F - shit, that won't help them learn!

We still have a lot to learn as well (mostly due to our incestuous business relationship with the US). I keep getting caught on screw and pipe threads. I don't dare just look at a bolt thread and pick something to match - I always use the thread matching tool supplied at the store. If they don't have one - switch stores.

So far, pipe threads haven't been a big issue for us, but they will get more so. I had a professional issue a few years ago on a Caribbean job where we had equipment supplied from all over the world. I tried to match the threads on a grease nipple from Holland. I assumed metric but found that there were a couple of flavours (oops - another spelling mistake?) there as well. I took adapters for both Japanese and European metric threads and neither worked. The damned thing was British Standard Thread! Had a similar problem in Bermuda, where all of the piping was sourced in the US, but all of the fire equipment came from the UK.

Interesting comments on our progress in metrification http://mattenglish.kinja.com/f-eh-q-why ... 1678865381 - good comment at the bottom.

Too many of EdWorts's Haus Pale, better stop after way too many 2¢ worth.
Last edited by opercularia |25 Mar 2016|, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

lumpy5oh
Favourite Beer: Beer

Post by lumpy5oh »

I used to be imperial but since the Biabacus I am all metric now. In day to day life I am really only metric in long distances and speed (km). I am also too young to use imperial for temperature; someone says it is 60°f and I have no idea what that means.
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer »

Well, I am of a "Certain age" and so somewhat bewildered and confused in my use of units, here's what I do

- volumes in liters (litres?!

- temp in degrees F.

- grain bill in pounds/oz

- hops, sometimes in grams, sometimes in ounces.

Oh well, it works for me! Not likely I will change at the stage!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Risto
Favourite Beer: Lager

Post by Risto »

I brew in metric. Give me a gallon of beer and I will drink that too.