Carboy Covers

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Carboy Covers

Post #1 by Wingeezer » 3 years ago

Anyone tried these?

https://www.carboy.net

I just ordered a couple after seeing them reviewed on Craigtube.

I use 6.5 gal. carboys and they always make me nervous - although so far I have been lucky. I did get a minor crack in one (now discarded) when two empty carboys bumped together, but have yet to have one shatter!

I have been using brew haulers to handle them. I also use the clamp type neck holders, but only to handle empty carboys.

The design shown in the link seems an improvement on the Brew Hauler design to me.

- it keeps light out of the carboy (I presently use garbage bags unless the carboy will remain in my fermentation chambers (small converted freezers) the whole time.

- looks easier to deal with than the brew haulers, I am always finding the straps getting tangled and need sorting out every time I apply the Brew Hauler. Also the strap that goes around the brew hauler is barely long enough for a 6.5 gallon carboy.

- a feature that I like a lot is that if I were to accidentally break a carboy inside the cover, I think the chances of injury would be quite a bit less as the shards should be contained within the cover. (There is a demo video on the website where a carboy in a cover is thrown off a garage roof!

They look the be quite well made and the price seems reasonable - we'll see how they work out, i should have them in a week or two.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Re: Carboy Covers

Post #2 by Mr_Tastyfish » 3 years ago

Definitely looks like a cool idea.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #3 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

good for keeping the light from the beer during fermentation to :cheers:
razz

Post #4 by razz » 3 years ago

Wingeezer, have you received your covers? Thinking of ordering 4 or 5 myself. Did you get dinged with duties? I'd be shipping them to the GTA. Would be nice if there was something like this available locally. Do the handles hold up?

BTW this is the product: http://www.carboy.net/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2
Wingeezer

Post #5 by Wingeezer » 3 years ago

razz wrote:Wingeezer, have you received your covers? Thinking of ordering 4 or 5 myself. Did you get dinged with duties? I'd be shipping them to the GTA. Would be nice if there was something like this available locally. Do the handles hold up?

BTW this is the product: http://www.carboy.net/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2

Hi Razz,

Yes, I got two of them some time back and found they worked well - in fact I have ordered two more.

The handles hold up fine. I use an electric winch and rope sling to move the carboys in and out of my keezer. I think there is a video on their website showing them loaded to several times the weight of a full carboy with no issues, so the handles would seem to be well tried. Hopefully they will stand up to the test of time.

So far I am happy with them. I like that facts that:

- I don't have to mess with trying to untangle the straps of the brew haulers which I always found a nuisance.

- I don't have to arrange separate light covers (I used to use black garbage bags).

- I feel they are more secure than Brewhaulers in the way they hold the carboy.

- if I should ever have the misfortune of bumping into something and breaking a full carboy within a carboy cover, it surely would still be a mess, but I feel the cover should do a better job of containing the glass shards and hopefully reducing chances of injury.

Brian.
razz

Post #6 by razz » 3 years ago

Hey Brian,

Appreciate the feedback. Will be ordering some now.
Wingeezer

Post #7 by Wingeezer » 3 years ago

razz wrote:Hey Brian,

Appreciate the feedback. Will be ordering some now.

Hi again Razz.

I think I forgot to answer your question about duty. No I did not get dinged! I now have four of the covers, two orders, and both came straight to the house shipped by US Postal Service / Canada Post, no extra charges at all.

These days I find that happens more and more on orders - I suspect there must be some lower $ limit below which they don't bother about it.

One thing to avoid like the plague is having things shipped to you via UPS.

I just received some specialty parts (just shipped in a small envelope) from the US for the hitch on our Airstream trialer. Unfortunately the shipper only would deal with UPS and I needed the parts. The parts cost $26, UPS shipping charge for this little package was $24, then when it arrived at my door they charged me another $24 for duty/HST/brokerage fees.

Not the first time that has happened to me - I try to have things shipped US Postal Service (USPS) whenever I can.

If you live close to the border, there is another option available. There are companies at border cities such as Buffalo who, for a minimal fee, will receive parcels for you shipped to them from within the US. You can then hop over the border and bring them home.

Especiallly handy if you happen to be be traveling on vacation down that way. A few years ago I bought a Honda 2000 watt generator in the US for $850, no tax, and had it shipped to Buffalo. On the way home from Florida we picked it up and brought it home - same generator bought in Canada was close to double the price.

Brian.
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #8 by XXXXX » 3 years ago

Wingeezer wrote:I think I forgot to answer your question about duty. No I did not get dinged! I now have four of the covers, two orders, and both came straight to the house shipped by US Postal Service / Canada Post, no extra charges at all.

They are made in the USA, so duty exempt. Worst case scenario is you'd have to pay HST. Not worth their time usually.

Calculate duty and taxes (I used category: home furnishings -> kitchen, cookware, dishes, utensils) and NAFTA origin:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... l-eng.html
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #9 by ECH » 3 years ago

XXXXX wrote:
Wingeezer wrote:I think I forgot to answer your question about duty. No I did not get dinged! I now have four of the covers, two orders, and both came straight to the house shipped by US Postal Service / Canada Post, no extra charges at all.

They are made in the USA, so duty exempt. Worst case scenario is you'd have to pay HST. Not worth their time usually.

Calculate duty and taxes (I used category: home furnishings -> kitchen, cookware, dishes, utensils) and NAFTA origin:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... l-eng.html

Would definitely be HST regardless of the NAFTA, that only covers duty, not taxes.

Of course if it is coming through Canada Post, it will be hit or miss whether they actually assess the taxes. If it is UPS or Fed Ex, they definitely will, and will tack on a brokerage fee for good measure.

Luckily with my business, I have a PO Box in the US, and am only about a 45min drive away, so I just have items shipped there and I go over once or twice a month to pick up.

Return to “Newbie FAQs”