What are you using to clean up after brewing

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Re: What are you using to clean up after brewing

Post #11 by Mr_Tastyfish » 3 years ago

Mot wrote:didn't leave my stuff dirty for long, washed evryting with soft soap as soon as the last drop was in the bottles. been paying for bottles and made sure i cleaned them with soft soap as i drank them (of course i need to get a capper now :facepalm: ) what is a source for starsan, never heard of it before.

If you stop into The Brew Kettle, you can pick up a cheap hand-capper (butterfly style) for about $20. It's what I use, and I've got no complaints about it. I don't believe they carry star-san, but I did notice they sell a powdered sanitizer that's labelled as being "no-rinse". I've never used it, but it might be just as good.
Cory1921
Favourite Beer: Bud Lite

Post #12 by Cory1921 » 3 years ago

Mot wrote:I,m using a mr beer lbm and the instructions say unscented mild hand soap. So I,m using soft soap to clean my keg andbottles. Is this enough to clean? I use the sanitizer they supply when it comes time to prep my keg and utensil, bottles etc

Don't use hand or dish soap to clean your equipment, leaves a residue and will destroy foam on beer etc. Same thing for washing your beer glasses.... I have used PBW and Oxi Free, haven't really noticed a difference so I mainly use oxi free now as it is cheaper and easier to get. I clean up right after I am finished brewing, transferring, etc. I don't give it time for junk to dry on, if I'm in a hurry I will just rinse with hot water and do a clean later when I have time. And as for sanitizing I only use star san, stuff is great. hope this helps. cheers!
Mot

Post #13 by Mot » 3 years ago

thanks for all the help
jason1973
Favourite Beer: my own

Post #14 by jason1973 » 3 years ago

i fill dirty bucket with dish soap and hot water and toss all my utensils in, come back later and clean every thing with oxy or pbw, depending whitch i have at time.
also any dish washer safe parts go in dish washer no soap on pot mode with super heated steam after i washed them by hand.
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #15 by Wingeezer » 3 years ago

Another user of oxy clean and PBW for cleaning, and Star San for sanitizing.

Have to admit I didn't know there was scented / unscented oxyclean, so no doubt I have been using the scented stuff! I always rinse well and haven't noticed any room deodorant smelling beer! I will look for the "Scent Free" type now though!

I mix up a 5 gallon batch of Star San and use it for months. Something in my water makes it go cloudy as soon as I mix it and so I cannot use cloudiness as an indictator as to when to discard it.

I use pH. Initially it measures about 2.5, they say to discard it when it rises to 3.5. I usually change it every few months away as it is cheap enough, and have never reached the 3.5pH level.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Return to “Newbie FAQs”