partial mash rookie question about extract

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Acadian_1755
Favourite Beer: Still on the hunt

partial mash rookie question about extract

Post #1 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Im confused about adding extract to wort ,, couldnt you just add sugar instead ? What are the most common extract types used in this process ? Example if i want a 23l batch, do i do the whole mash,sparge then top off with water and take gravity reading,, adding extract to get where i want?
Partons la mer est belle!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: partial mash rookie question about extract

Post #2 by ECH » 3 years ago

Really depends on what you are doing.

Are you doing all grain for your batch? Or just specialty grains?

I do extract with specialty grains, and basically what I do is bring my water up to strike temps. for the grain. Once to temp, grains bags go in for prescribed amount of time (normally 30mins), I then splarge with some of the heated strike water that I ran off before putting the grains in.

Once done splarging, I bring the water to boiling, turn off the heat, add extracts (this could be DME, LME, combo of both, plus other items depending on the recipe you are making) stir well, bring back to a boil and start the clock (normally a 60 min boil) adding the items for the recipe along that way after that.

If you are doing all grain where you are mashing 10+lbs of grain, you wouldn't add any extract as the liquid from all that grain in the water will get you to about the same point as when I put the extracts into my brew kettle.
Acadian_1755

Post #3 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

ECH wrote:Really depends on what you are doing.

Are you doing all grain for your batch? Or just specialty grains?

I do extract with specialty grains, and basically what I do is bring my water up to strike temps. for the grain. Once to temp, grains bags go in for prescribed amount of time (normally 30mins), I then splarge with some of the heated strike water that I ran off before putting the grains in.

Once done splarging, I bring the water to boiling, turn off the heat, add extracts (this could be DME, LME, combo of both, plus other items depending on the recipe you are making) stir well, bring back to a boil and start the clock (normally a 60 min boil) adding the items for the recipe along that way after that.

If you are doing all grain where you are mashing 10+lbs of grain, you wouldn't add any extract as the liquid from all that grain in the water will get you to about the same point as when I put the extracts into my brew kettle.

Hey ech ,, , thanks that really makes it clearer for me .. Id like to skip the partial mash and try a all grain but im just starting to read/study it, Another question though, Do i measure the grain i need in accordance with the size of the fermenter ? If so , there must be charts or something i can study right? Like when i hear you guys talk about the grain type ( 2nd row , 3rd row ,,etc).
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #4 by ECH » 3 years ago

The amount of grain is all dependent on the recipe, not the size of the fermentor. Of course the size of your mash tun is going to determine alot as well. If you mash tun can only hold 12lbs of grain (and the requisite water needed) and you have 15lbs of grain for the recipe, then obviously there is going to be a problem.

If you are doing an extract kit with specialty grains, you generally aren't using much grain to begin with, I think the most I have used in any batch was maybe 2.5-3lbs max, the rest of your fermentables would be your extracts (either LME or DME).

I have thought about going all grain, or at least BIAB, but I am having too much fun with the extracts, and so far the recipes are coming out very well. I am not experimenting a little bit with my own extract recipes, or at least modifying extract kits I have bought with different hops, more hops, etc, etc.

There is obviously more you can do with all grain, as the choices in grain seem to be endless, and can probably get truer to a style or specific beer you like using all grain, but so far the extract route hasn't steered me wrong yet, plus all grain adds another hr or more to the brew day, and since I am naturally lazy, I could be doing something else during that time.
Acadian_1755

Post #5 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Cool ,,,, thanks again man... Looks like i have a few things to consider before im concrete on a method
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #6 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Acadian YouTube is the best learning tool for Brewing steps out there. Here are some suggestions

Kits and some Partials www.craigtube.ca

Partials and mini mashes Brewingtv youtube channel and https://www.youtube.com/user/terpsichoreankid terpsichoreankid is good.

I found the best for AG brews to learn from was Don Osborne channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/donosborn excellent advice and his website give great ideas.

Partials are an excellent way to brew also imho I have gone back to partials while I down size and rebuilt my system and I am rather enjoying them again.

:cheers:
Acadian_1755

Post #7 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Thanks for the insight jb .. I will def check those links out..
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #8 by Goulaigan » 3 years ago

Starting with extract and partial mash is a good way to get your process down, figure out fermentation, get used of various equipment, etc. John Palmer's "how to brew' is also a great free resource. Its how i got through my first 4 extract batches, before going AG with BIAB.

"all grain or at least BIAB" - BIAB is all grain, just not the traditional 3 vessel method of mashing, but still pure all grain, unless you choose to do it otherwise. If you want to find out more about this method, biabrewer.info is a good place to look.

There is no 'right' way to brew, find what works best for you through experimenting, and most importantly whatever gets you to brewing your own great beer!
Acadian_1755

Post #9 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Thanks goulaigan ,, first i hear of BIAB i will defenately check it out

Return to “Newbie FAQs”