How long can brew stay in fermenter after fermentation stops

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Acadian_1755
Favourite Beer: Still on the hunt

How long can brew stay in fermenter after fermentation stops

Post #1 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

What is the shelf life of beer in fermenter after fermentation stops .... Between fermentation and bottling,,,,
I imagine it would last longer in a secondary ?
Partons la mer est belle!
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: How long can brew stay in fermenter after fermentation s

Post #2 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Hey Acadian.

Beer shouldn't be left on the yeast more than 4 weeks tops, now I have gone by that once or twice before and not noticed much difference myself , but recommendations are 4 weeks maximum. In secondary you could begin your 1 year count down for shelf life, in some cases like a high gravity (higher alcohol content beer) hopped to high heck 2 years shelf life maybe. Now that is if your naturally carbonating and bottling, once you force carb maybe 2 months to a bit more. Can't help with past 2 months myself because it never makes it that long on my taps :rolleyes:

Hope that helps :cheers:
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #3 by Warthaug » 3 years ago

To add to Jimmy's reply, it also depends on the fermenter. If you've fermented in a carboy, 4-6 weeks shouldn't be an issue. If in a bucket (or other relatively gas-permeable fermenter) I'd be hesitant to go past 4 weeks.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Acadian_1755

Post #4 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

JimmehBrew wrote:Hey Acadian.

Beer shouldn't be left on the yeast more than 4 weeks tops, now I have gone by that once or twice before and not noticed much difference myself , but recommendations are 4 weeks maximum. In secondary you could begin your 1 year count down for shelf life, in some cases like a high gravity (higher alcohol content beer) hopped to high heck 2 years shelf life maybe. Now that is if your naturally carbonating and bottling, once you force carb maybe 2 months to a bit more. Can't help with past 2 months myself because it never makes it that long on my taps :rolleyes:

Hope that helps :cheers:

Wow ,, thanks ,, that is very helpful,,,, :rockon:
Acadian_1755

Post #5 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Warthaug wrote:To add to Jimmy's reply, it also depends on the fermenter. If you've fermented in a carboy, 4-6 weeks shouldn't be an issue. If in a bucket (or other relatively gas-permeable fermenter) I'd be hesitant to go past 4 weeks.

Bryan

Thanks man... :cheers:
Acadian_1755

Post #6 by Acadian_1755 » 3 years ago

Will colder temps affect a beer that has done fermenting and waiting to be bottled ,, it had fermented at 18-19 and has been moved to a colder room due to space issues, now its at 14c

Return to “Newbie FAQs”