2batches fermenting 1 of them doesnt smell as good as the ot

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Acadian_1755
Favourite Beer: Still on the hunt

2batches fermenting 1 of them doesnt smell as good as the ot

Post by Acadian_1755 » 4 years ago

I have two batches fermenting ( day 4) same brand but diff recipes ,, one smells a bit sulphury,, is this an infection for sure ?. Im brewing coopers canadian blonde and i dont think its a lager but i could be wrong ,,
Partons la mer est belle!

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Re: 2batches fermenting 1 of them doesnt smell as good as th

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

Sulfur is a normal Byproduct of the yeast doing there job. It should cleanup all that smell in the secondary/conditioning phase. RDWHAHB :)

If the smell is still there after 2-3 weeks then you should start to worry but in my experience sulfur is not a infection type smell...I think LOL
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Acadian_1755

SeanGodd wrote:Sulfur is a normal Byproduct of the yeast doing there job. It should cleanup all that smell in the secondary/conditioning phase. RDWHAHB :)

If the smell is still there after 2-3 weeks then you should start to worry but in my experience sulfur is not a infection type smell...I think LOL
I have been reading exactly what you just said ,,, thanks a lot seangodd. Im glad to hear that :cheers:

basementbrewer
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by basementbrewer » 4 years ago

I had the same thing happen to my first lager I made and the smell went away after a while in the secondary

Acadian_1755

basementbrewer wrote:I had the same thing happen to my first lager I made and the smell went away after a while in the secondary
Ive haerd that for lagers ,,, but this is an ale ,,,, buuuut im fermenting at pretty much lager temps ,, so maybe thats why? ,, Thanks basementbrewer appreciate the insight

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

careful with fermenting at too cold a temp, it can make ale yeasts sometimes throw off some weird tastes. sulfur being one. its not too bad because it will dissipate but some (like diacetyl) might not be re-absorbed at too low of a temp. usually in lagers, there is a diacetyl rest performed. its done by raising the temp up over the course of a few days or so (not positive on the timing, I haven't done a lager yet). you might be well served to raise the temp to whatever is the low end of optimal for your yeast. it'll make sure your yeast don't fall outta suspension too early and also help them clean up any off flavors that might have arisen from too low a fermentation temp. just my 2c.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:careful with fermenting at too cold a temp, it can make ale yeasts sometimes throw off some weird tastes. sulfur being one. its not too bad because it will dissipate but some (like diacetyl) might not be re-absorbed at too low of a temp. usually in lagers, there is a diacetyl rest performed. its done by raising the temp up over the course of a few days or so (not positive on the timing, I haven't done a lager yet). you might be well served to raise the temp to whatever is the low end of optimal for your yeast. it'll make sure your yeast don't fall outta suspension too early and also help them clean up any off flavors that might have arisen from too low a fermentation temp. just my 2c.

+ 1 Some lager yeasts throw off a lot of sulpher,Wyeast 2124 bohemian lager is one of them, and like smokey said-dont ferment too low when using ale yeasts.

Good luck. :cheers:

Acadian_1755

Thank you smockeymcb and ruf1. Like u guyssaid i should have and will from now on watch for specific yeast temperature , im trying not to get ahead of myself , but its hard cause its so exciting for my rookie self lol thanks again guys.