Cooler or keg for a tun

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Oilguy
Favourite Beer: Jolson Canadian

Cooler or keg for a tun

Post #1 by Oilguy » 3 years ago

I was wandering what is better to use for a mash tun, I have 3. 58 litre kegs as well I have hnumerous rectangular coolers, is any better or worse, I have yet to brew , just getting all my equipment together. Thanks for your input
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Cooler or keg for a tun

Post #2 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

I wouldn't go back to coolers (I started with one).

Put in a false bottom in your keg and you're good to go! I'll post a picture of my (completely chaotic) system when I brew next (this Sunday).

Forget the cooler, use the keg. That's my opinion...
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post #3 by Winger » 3 years ago

The cooler method is the simplest and cheapest and works fine. I started with a rectangular cooler, built a manifold and drain, and used it for a year. It still sits in my shop and I use for other purposes nowadays. I've moved up to a 58 L keg, still with a manifold, as a tun. The expense to build the keg tun was 10 times the simple cooler with fittings and welding, and I did the welding myself. Not everyone has the equipment or skill to weld fittings into a very thin stainless steel keg. If you are just beginning and unsure if this hobby is something that will be a long time passion, I say start with a cooler tun. That's just my opinion. :cheers:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
Doc_Drive

Post #4 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

converting a keg (especially if you have one already) doesn't have to be very expensive. I have one port that's welded onto it (an acquintance of mine did that in exchange for a beer) and the rest is done with weldless fittings... It is more expensive to convert a keg but in my opinion not extremely more...
Oilguy
Favourite Beer: Jolson Canadian

Post #5 by Oilguy » 3 years ago

Thanks for the feed back , I think I will go the keg route , I have some SS solder paste on order so I will give it a go at soldering,
kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post #6 by kombat » 3 years ago

I have 2 coolers (48 quart and 70 quart), one is for 5 gallon batches, the other is for 10 gallon batches and high-gravity 5 gallon batches. I like them because if I preheat them with some hot water while heating strike water, they hold temperature wonderfully during even longer mashes (2 hours). No complaints, no reason to modify my process.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #7 by Warthaug » 3 years ago

I've been brewing for nearly 17 years, with both types of funds, and I prefer cooler systems. They hold the heat, which means recirculation is unnessusary - and if you incorporate a recirculation system it will (in my experience) be mute stable.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Doc_Drive

Post #8 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

Point taken Brian...

I guess I got lucky finding a rubberized keg...
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #9 by Goulaigan » 3 years ago

There is also an even simpler option, you could BIAB. You already have the stuff to go 3 vessel, but when it comes to homebrewing in my opinion the same great beer can be made with BIAB. All in one vessel, less cleaning, less time... Since you haven't brewed, might also be a good way to get your process down, even if you plan to do the 3 vessel route down the road.
Happy brewing whatever road you take.... My 2 cents

:cheers:
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #10 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Goulaigan wrote:There is also an even simpler option, you could BIAB. You already have the stuff to go 3 vessel, but when it comes to homebrewing in my opinion the same great beer can be made with BIAB. All in one vessel, less cleaning, less time... Since you haven't brewed, might also be a good way to get your process down, even if you plan to do the 3 vessel route down the road.
Happy brewing whatever road you take.... My 2 cents

:cheers:

I'm with Goul , if i was starting over ( which I am )or doing it again for the first time BIAB is how it would be. Electric kettle, 1 pump, insulation for kettle for mashing or a rims eventually, and a BIAB, just have to finish selling whats left of my old gear :rockon:

Return to “Newbie FAQs”