Wine Kits

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Olfart

Wine Kits

Post by Olfart » 4 years ago

I was wondering if there was a way to purchase kits cheaper than buying them locally? For myself locally means a remote town in northern BC.

I have compared prices with our local home brew supplier and he does not charge that much more for wine than the suppliers in prince George.
I don't know if asking what is the best place to buy wine or beer supplies is permissible in these forums, so forgive me if its not.

Where do most of you get your supplies?

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: Wine Kits

Post by XXXXX » 4 years ago

Olfart wrote:I don't know if asking what is the best place to buy wine or beer supplies is permissible in these forums, so forgive me if its not.

Where do most of you get your supplies?
You may ask whatever you feel like asking.

We have suppliers who are active in this community (www.ihomebrewing.ca and www.ontariobeerkegs.com come immediately to mind, and I've purchased from both). Shipping might not be very agreeable to remote BC, though.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

If you are looking for some basic wine kits that produce good results at a reasonable price, I would check out Save-On-Foods. If they do not carry wine supplies / brewing supplies you can talk to the manager and they can order some in for you. The Western Family Kits are actually made by RJ Spangols - so the quality is quite good, and the price is very reasonable. Save-on also carries Cooper's kits, dextrose, light DME, and other wine/brewing supplies for basic brewing. This would save you on the shipping. Otherwise, Hop Dawgs outs of Vernon, BC is another online beer supplier but like previously mentioned the shipping might be cost prohibitive.
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 4 years ago

We just received 4 wine kits from Costco.ca for just over $100 on sale. Shipping was included. You do have to be a Costco member.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Olfart

Post by Olfart » 4 years ago

Thanks good people, funny how life is, just after I asked this question a local wholesaler brought in some really nice wine kits, as well as 5 gallon pails of grape juice ready to be made into wine. The kits were two pack, for 60 bottles, two kinds of wine for about $70 dollars, the buckets of grapes juice were about $90.00 dollars.

I do thank you for your input, it lets me see what prices are in range or over the top.
I understand you get what you pay for, but then I don't want to be paying too much for a product either, so its nice to see some benchmark prices.

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Decided to check out Costco based on Winger's post, and found this gem:
http://www.costco.ca/Argentia-Ridge-Cha ... 69082.html

$100 for a 10 gallon batch? Sign me up :)
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Venari

Venari wrote:Decided to check out Costco based on Winger's post, and found this gem:
http://www.costco.ca/Argentia-Ridge-Cha ... 69082.html

$100 for a 10 gallon batch? Sign me up :)
Apparently "shipping and handling included" means $55 extra.

Still, a good price for 60 bottles :)
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 4 years ago

SWIMBO and I made one of these Costco kits (one half of it anyways). Save your money - its pretty awful wine. We've turned half of ours into vinegar; the other half is strictly for cooking. And that's coming from a couple who think baby duck is the cat's meow...

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Venari

Too late, they've already shipped it.

Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 4 years ago

Give it extra time to age then - 3 months in the carboy will help. We've (since) learned that quality kits = good wine (which, in hind sight, should have been obvious). A $100 kit seems steep, but that's just over $3 a bottle, and they taste more like $30 bottles of wine when they're dune.

Good luck!

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!