Simple Cider

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
birvine

Re: Simple Cider

Post #31 by birvine » 6 years ago

I'd try the full kg since it ferments so dry.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #32 by Wingeezer » 6 years ago

I'd like to give the cider a try but don't want to invest in a full 5 gallon batch.

Is it likely to cause much problem if I do maybe 8-10L but ferment it in a 5 gallon carboy and then keg it in a standard 5 gal corrny?

I don't really have any smaller containers I could use for fermenting - other than the old Mr Beer plastic barrel fermenter (2 US gal?) that
got me started in this whole absorbing hobby! Perhaps it might be better to use?

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
birvine

Post #33 by birvine » 6 years ago

It might work just fine. For a few dollars I got some 2-gal jugs at a Timmins brew supply shop and used those. You'd probably be ok with the full carboy, but the large airspace concerns me a wee bit.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
ckrascek
Favourite Beer: Guinness

Post #34 by ckrascek » 5 years ago

I'm in the middle of bottle conditioning a test batch 1 gal, well it started out as that but with racking and trube it went to 1/2 gal. If it goes well, I will increase the batch. I have a lot of settlement but boy is it clear.
Fermenting:
Conditioning: Hard Apple Cider, Irish Stout
Bottled: Englishman Nut Brown Ale, West Coast IPA, Red Zinfandel Wine.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #35 by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

I find it takes over 3 weeks just for the clearing stage for cider, I almost always have 3 carboys full and a keg at any given time for cider only, because its my wife's favourite.
Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post #36 by Stubrew » 5 years ago

I just discovered a 1 gallon of mead Id forgotten about. Lol. It was a test batch from 6 months ago...I did sample it in May, and it was mouthpuckeringly DRY!!! At that time, and still at 1.014(written on the jug)
I just tasted it today, and its now sweet! (and overly so) Lol, and at 1.004. WTF???
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.
JimmehBrew

Post #37 by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Stubrew wrote:I just discovered a 1 gallon of mead Id forgotten about. Lol. It was a test batch from 6 months ago...I did sample it in May, and it was mouthpuckeringly DRY!!! At that time, and still at 1.014(written on the jug)
I just tasted it today, and its now sweet! (and overly so) Lol, and at 1.004. WTF???

That's cool LOL ! I wonder why it sweetened over time on it's own ? Might have to try leaving a batch of cider for a few months for a test hmmmm
Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post #38 by Stubrew » 5 years ago

Im thinking it might have had too much champagne yeast still in suspension, and thats what I was tasting. Weird...less sugar, yet still sweeter. Still not something Id drink regularly tho.
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.
JimmehBrew

Post #39 by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Stu try some of the whitelabs WLP720 mead yeast, leaves a sweetness @ the end
Eprevost_tec

Post #40 by Eprevost_tec » 5 years ago

Hi,

Just bottled my first attempt at a cider. Was aiming for a sweet sparkling cider. Started off with some fresh pressed (pasturized) apple cider that also contained some fresh pear to balance the harshness. To 10 L (used a 11.5L Better Bottle) I added 1/2 lb of brown sugar, pectic enzyne, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and safale us-04. Starting OG was 1.052. Fermentation was quite vigorous and brought the cider down to 1.015 in two days. Cold crashed the cider in a 14C room for 5 days. Racked, topped up with about 1.5L of fresh cider (thrub layer was quite thick due to the deposition of solids from the pectic enzyme). Left in secondary for 5 more days. Final gravity hit 1.012.

I wanted a really bubbly cider so primed as normal for beer but used an online calculator to get the carbonation level of a Hefenweizen (I think about 5 oz). I have one plastic bottle of the bunch to be able to feel the carbonation level.

Once the bottle is nice and hard, I pasturized the other the kill of the active yeast and stop the bottle carbonation process before the bottle bombs destroy my basement. The pasturization process involves leaving the full bottles in a 90C water bath for about 20 minutes.

This cider turned out great, bubbly, sweet, and a great balanced taste. While this is an involved process, it was well worth it. Can wait to see how bottle conditioning for a few months make the cider evolve.

Just as an aside, our local wine making shop just starting carrying cider kits. The are made with real unfiltered apple juice and make a great product. For around 45$ they make an awesome cider.

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”