Simple Cider

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Jack

Re: Simple Cider

Post #21 by Jack » 6 years ago

I did a small 1 gallon batch of cider when i first started homebrewing using pure apple cider. The apple flavour was really good but it had almost a 'woody' taste. Wrong yeast and probably too much for the small batch size.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Bee_Wrangler
Favourite Beer: budweiser

Post #22 by Bee_Wrangler » 6 years ago

I have an apple/strawberry cider batch going right now. Only a week old but I can't wait to see how it turns out
Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post #23 by Stubrew » 6 years ago

Jack wrote:I did a small 1 gallon batch of cider when i first started homebrewing using pure apple cider. The apple flavour was really good but it had almost a 'woody' taste. Wrong yeast and probably too much for the small batch size.

How much is "too much"? The yeast part of this is still a mystery to me.. conflicting stories from everywhere I suppose...
I decided to put on gallon batches of cider & mead, just out of curiosity more than anything. Recipe call for "some" yeast, or 1/2 a pack for a gallon, while the kitz store tells me, no, you need a full pack! Lol.
To add to it, the beer kits all call for the 1 pack for 5 gallons, yet the ag recipes all seem to call for 2.....Im CONFUSED. :)) par for the course, but I havent had my beer yet today...soon to be remedied tho....
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.
Jack

Post #24 by Jack » 6 years ago

I can't remember how much yeast i used, but it was just a no-name pack left over from a canned beer kit and not actual cider yeast. I just made a small jug of it that i picked up at the store. It was ok except for that "woody" taste so i just assume it was the yeast.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #25 by JimmehBrew » 6 years ago

I have used EC1118 bit too dry for me
71B 1122 wine yeast
Ale yeast sound interesting
I have had the best luck with plain old quick acting Freshman bread yeast roflmao

Gonna try the wyeast 4766 next though and see how I like it, but I'll be reharvesting it atleast 5 times or more.

Ps switch to brown sugar and dissolve in two cans on the stove top. Cheers
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #26 by JimmehBrew » 6 years ago

JimmehBrew wrote:I have used EC1118 bit too dry for me
71B 1122 wine yeast
Ale yeast sound interesting
I have had the best luck with plain old quick acting Freshman bread yeast roflmao

Gonna try the wyeast 4766 next though and see how I like it, but I'll be reharvesting it atleast 5 times or more.

Ps switch to brown sugar and dissolve in two cans on the stove top. Cheers

Ok found a perfect Cider yeast in this one
WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast:
A wine yeast strain that is less attenuative than WLP715, leaving some residual sweetness. Slightly fruity and will tolerate alcohol concentrations up to 15%. A good choice for sweet mead and cider, as well as Blush wines, Gewürztraminer, Sauternes, Riesling.
Alcohol Tolerance: 15%
Attenuation: <75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 70-75°F

Made an awesome cider and I have switched to Demerara sugar

I have a brown sugar cider kegged with the WLP720 and it is really good, now fermenting is a US-05 and Demerara sugar and I will let you know how it turns out also. I will be hitting Brampton and gettin g more WLP720 and try it with the Demerara sugar next.
pubspearliespints
Favourite Beer: nut brown ale

Post #27 by pubspearliespints » 6 years ago

I've used 1118 champagne yeast and found it bone dry had better results with 1116, and I might try Sauterne yeast for my next batch.
SunyJim

Post #28 by SunyJim » 6 years ago

I made a little 1 gallon batch, added camden tablet to kill wild yeast in it.
12 hours later pectic enzyme to clear the cider, 12 hours later pitched US 04
Homebrewtalk had a post, some guy tried about 30 different yeasts. Nottingham and US04 were the favorites, not a sharp, bitter, dry, or bready.
I added brown sugar, there was a brewingtv episode on cider and the brewer said brown sugar comes out as a caramel like note in the finished cider. OG 1068, FG 1.000
racked it, and cold crashed to clear. Added 9 packets of Splenda to backsweeten it, (it's not really sweet just not as dry, splenda is non fermentable)
then going to bottle and carbonate 2x normal brew dex amount
Aiming for a final product close to Strongbow.
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #29 by XXXXX » 6 years ago

Do you remember what the OG on the store-bought cider alone was? How much brown sugar did you add?

I might do this tomorrow.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
jeffsmith

Post #30 by jeffsmith » 6 years ago

XXXXX wrote:Do you remember what the OG on the store-bought cider alone was? How much brown sugar did you add?

I might do this tomorrow.

I've found that it's usually in the 1.040 to 1.050 range.
The Brewnosers

Fermenting: Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP051), Strongbad Bitter (US-05)
On tap: Cardinal Sin India Red Ale, Count Chocula Chocolate Milk Stout, Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP001), Strongbad Bitter (S-04)

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”