Draught-style cider recipes? (Magners, Strongbow, etc...)

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
stanzela

Draught-style cider recipes? (Magners, Strongbow, etc...)

Post by stanzela » 7 years ago

Hey guys,

I'd love to brew up something close to a Magners, a nice, simple draught-cider that's easy sipping and about 5% abv. I have a batch of cider bottled up that I made about a month and a half ago, but I made it with real cider and a bunch of brown sugar. I didn't take any grav readings, but I am pretty sure it'll be closer to wine than beer.

Does anyone make this sort of thing regularly? Any tips? I saw a post over on HBT, for this:

I make a simple draft-style cider (think Magners) using store bought juice, pectic enzyme, and Nottingham ale yeast. I make it semi-dry (about 1.010 fg) so its got good apple flavor with it, its a little tart, bubbly and refreshing.

The poster also said that the turn around on this stuff is really quick (like, ready within a couple of weeks). I would love to have a case of this to bring to a New Years get together I'll be attending.
I'd love any advice/recipes/tips...

Cheers,

Matt

CP3

Re: Draught-style cider recipes? (Magners, Strongbow, etc..

Post by CP3 » 5 years ago

Did you try it?
This is what I would like to end up with as well. Although, I may add a bit of sugar as I like some of the sweeter ones too.

markaberrant

Post by markaberrant » 5 years ago

Regular "draft cider" is just pressed apples and yeast. No additional water or sugar is added. OG is gonna be in the 1.040-1.045 range. Will ferment out pretty much bone dry to 5-6% abv.

Adding more sugar will not make it sweeter, just thinner and more alcohol.

Only way to make "sweet" carbonated draft cider like Magners or Stronbow is to backsweeten. This isn't really possible if you bottle condition. Need to be able to kill off the yeast, backsweeten and force carbonate.

CP3

Post by CP3 » 5 years ago

Right, I remember reading that somewhere else now that you mention it.

Guess I'll start with apple juice and yeast and see how I like that and go from there. Think I will have to get a growler for some trials.

NB brewer

Post by NB brewer » 4 years ago

How did you make out with the ciders? Did you ever end up with something that worked?