Wet Cardboard From Filtering

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Wet Cardboard From Filtering

Post #1 by Reignman » 1 year ago

I bought a Buon Vino mini jet wine filter last summer. I have only used it for beer, but hopefully someone can answer my question here. I used it only once before with great results. Very clear beer. However, last week I filtered a hazy Pilsner and ended up with a wet cardboard taste. What happened?
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Wet Cardboard From Filtering

Post #2 by Warthaug » 1 year ago

Oxidation; likely didn't have the plates clamped tightly enough and air got drawn into the cartridge.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Reignman

Post #3 by Reignman » 1 year ago

Okay. I did get a lot of foam at first. I'll tighten them more next time. I did see drips where it first comes to the pump. I tried to get it to stop, but nothing worked. Maybe a clamp? I wish they used a simple fitting where all you have to do is just use a hose clamp.
Reignman

Post #4 by Reignman » 1 year ago

Nope. I did everything right at least I thought. Still got wet cardboard taste. Leave the filter for wine.
CRZ

Post #5 by CRZ » 1 year ago

I use to filter all my beers down to .5 microns. I got 3 batches in a row that got oxidation. Since then I no longer use my Vino super jet to filter beer anymore lol. I've used gelatin now for 4 batches and I'm happy with it. I can't get it as clear as a .5 micron filter but I do sense more flavor now.
I'm thinking of making and trying out the water filter canister method to filter now.

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”