Argentia wine kit help

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
lukie
Favourite Beer: Rochefort 10

Re: Argentia wine kit help

Post by lukie » 2 years ago

So it does, indeed, appear as though the yeast died on me prematurely as the SG is reading same (7 Brix) for 3 days now. No idea how or why this happened but is it possible to salvage this batch by adding more yeast to it? If so, how much yeast would I add?

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 2 years ago

Your yeast is fine; assuming a starting gravity around 1.090 (22 brix), a final gravity of 7 brix is completely fermented (F.G. of 0.989; 100% of sugar is fermented).

Just transfer to secondary and continue as per usual.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

lukie

Warthaug wrote:Your yeast is fine; assuming a starting gravity around 1.090 (22 brix), a final gravity of 7 brix is completely fermented (F.G. of 0.989; 100% of sugar is fermented).

Just transfer to secondary and continue as per usual.

Bryan
Phew, well that's a heavy weight off my shoulders! I was about to run out to get some more yeast to try and salvage this batch.

I'm curious about your Brix to SG conversion though. According to this calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/) a Brix of 7 translates to an SG of 1.0277 and according to my Argentia Kit instructions I should be below 1.010 before beginning secondary. Is there a difference between SG and FG? My off hand guess is that SG is the same value but it becomes FG when there is no more fermentation taking place (3 days same sugar reading, as someone else mentioned).

I have already begun secondary fermentation, which with FastFerment is a super easy process of emptying the bottom bulb and replacing it again. Is it odd that all my fermentation seems to have occurred in the first 7-8 days, as per my constant SG reading of 7 Brix?. For some reason I thought that fermentation would continue to occur at secondary fermentation and would occur, albeit more slowly, up to the 30 day mark.

Sorry, I am just so new at this but want to learn, preferably without making epic, batch ruining mistakes.

Warthaug

You stated you were using a refractometer. They can only read the specific gravity of unfermented wort. Once wort starts fermenting you need to use a calculator to work out the conversion. If you are using a hydrometer, than you need new yeast as these read fermenting gravity accurately.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

lukie

Warthaug wrote:You stated you were using a refractometer. They can only read the specific gravity of unfermented wort. Once wort starts fermenting you need to use a calculator to work out the conversion. If you are using a hydrometer, than you need new yeast as these read fermenting gravity accurately.

B

Yes, I've got a refractometer that gives me the values in Brix and I use as simple calculator online(as linked above). When I bought it I was under the impression that you can read it before, during and after fermentation. So during fermentation what calculator do I need to use to obtain an accurate reading?

Edit: Found a handy calc. for using refractometer after fermentation begins: http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/res ... alculator/

Good to learn that one needs to convert the Brix via the above calculator once fermentation happens. I might consider getting a Hydrometer instead. Typically how much liquid do you have to sacrifice to get a hydrometer reading?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 2 years ago

Good to learn that one needs to convert the Brix via the above calculator once fermentation happens. I might consider getting a Hydrometer instead. Typically how much liquid do you have to sacrifice to get a hydrometer reading?[/quote]
Get yourself a hydrometer jar. I think that's what it's called. Mine when I need a reading only fills about a cup or two of liquid. Plus they are plastic and usually only a couple bucks anyways
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Vienna Märzen
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

Warthaug

Typically about a cup is needed for a hydrometer reading, and to avoid contamination, it is generally recommended that you not dump that cup back in.

Personally, I'd stick with the refractometer; the mild irritation of having to use a calculator is insignificant compared to the inconvenience of a hydrometer. Hyrdometers need a large sample volume, can be difficult to work with (you need to get the hydrometer to float in the middle of the sample container, without touching the side), need to have a temperature correction applied to the readings, and are prone to breakage.

B

lukie

Warthaug wrote:Typically about a cup is needed for a hydrometer reading, and to avoid contamination, it is generally recommended that you not dump that cup back in.

Personally, I'd stick with the refractometer; the mild irritation of having to use a calculator is insignificant compared to the inconvenience of a hydrometer. Hyrdometers need a large sample volume, can be difficult to work with (you need to get the hydrometer to float in the middle of the sample container, without touching the side), need to have a temperature correction applied to the readings, and are prone to breakage.

B

Yes, I think i will stick to it given the availability of the conversion calculator. It's day 18 today and according to instructions it's C02 degassing time. My Brix reads about 7.1 the same value as a week ago, so assuming my original Brix was 22, that equates to an SG of .989 which is below what the kit wants. Excellent.

I added all the goodies to stabilize and stirred vigorously for 15 mins. There was a bit of white foam formed while stirring, I hope that's normal. Of course I sterilized the big ass spoon with a few quick sprays of Star San. Quick question: Do you just spray with Star San and you are ready to roll or do you prefer to wait a couple of minutes. Do you wipe it down? It feels so wrong spraying some bacteria killing chemical and then touching the wine with it.

On the bright side, I'm just glad I don't have to pour all this to yet another carboy as the kit instructions tell you. This Fastferment gizmo is a definite time and space saving device and I'm thinking of getting another one for concurrent red wine batches if the end result is good.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 2 years ago

I added all the goodies to stabilize and stirred vigorously for 15 mins. There was a bit of white foam formed while stirring, I hope that's normal. Of course I sterilized the big ass spoon with a few quick sprays of Star San. Quick question: Do you just spray with Star San and you are ready to roll or do you prefer to wait a couple of minutes. Do you wipe it down? It feels so wrong spraying some bacteria killing chemical and then touching the wine with it.

With beer starsan is yeast safe as long as you aren't pouring it into the beer. I personally like to spray my stuff profusely, if I can't soak them, and let them air dry.
Edit: I never wipe off the starsan because you have something else that is potentially contaminated touching your spoon that you just sterilized.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Vienna Märzen
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

great thing about drawing a sample for a hydrometer is you get to sample the sample. I have found that I sometimes require three separate samples, the second 2 samples don't tend to see the hydrometer ;)