Argentia wine kit help

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Argentia wine kit help

Post by Warthaug » 2 years ago

lukie wrote: Yes, I think i will stick to it given the availability of the conversion calculator. It's day 18 today and according to instructions it's C02 degassing time. My Brix reads about 7.1 the same value as a week ago, so assuming my original Brix was 22, that equates to an SG of .989 which is below what the kit wants. Excellent.
Exactly right - stable gravity is what you are looking for.
lukie wrote:I added all the goodies to stabilize and stirred vigorously for 15 mins. There was a bit of white foam formed while stirring, I hope that's normal.
Yep. A lot of CO2 builds up in the wine as it ferments, and if you don't get it out you end up with slightly fizzy wine in the bottle. Not enough that it seems carbonated, but enough to make for an odd mouth feel.
lukie wrote: Of course I sterilized the big ass spoon with a few quick sprays of Star San. Quick question: Do you just spray with Star San and you are ready to roll or do you prefer to wait a couple of minutes. Do you wipe it down? It feels so wrong spraying some bacteria killing chemical and then touching the wine with it.
30 seconds contact time is all that is needed - I just spray it on with a spray bottle. I'll shake off any excess starsan, but don't wipe it off. When diluted in beer/wine, starsan becomes yeast food. Its only microbicidal when concentrated.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

lukie
Favourite Beer: Rochefort 10

Post by lukie » 2 years ago

Warthaug wrote:
lukie wrote: Yes, I think i will stick to it given the availability of the conversion calculator. It's day 18 today and according to instructions it's C02 degassing time. My Brix reads about 7.1 the same value as a week ago, so assuming my original Brix was 22, that equates to an SG of .989 which is below what the kit wants. Excellent.
Exactly right - stable gravity is what you are looking for.
lukie wrote:I added all the goodies to stabilize and stirred vigorously for 15 mins. There was a bit of white foam formed while stirring, I hope that's normal.
Yep. A lot of CO2 builds up in the wine as it ferments, and if you don't get it out you end up with slightly fizzy wine in the bottle. Not enough that it seems carbonated, but enough to make for an odd mouth feel.
lukie wrote: Of course I sterilized the big ass spoon with a few quick sprays of Star San. Quick question: Do you just spray with Star San and you are ready to roll or do you prefer to wait a couple of minutes. Do you wipe it down? It feels so wrong spraying some bacteria killing chemical and then touching the wine with it.
30 seconds contact time is all that is needed - I just spray it on with a spray bottle. I'll shake off any excess starsan, but don't wipe it off. When diluted in beer/wine, starsan becomes yeast food. Its only microbicidal when concentrated.

B
Thanks a lot. I can't wait to report back on the results! I will also try one of the reds from Argentia (any winners from them?). Also can anyone recommend an awesome kit that is a good value and easily available?

lukie

So the final results have been quite good. I'm no wine expert (was more into craft beers, which I'll have to try with my Fastferment) but all the nice notes of crisp fruit and a bit of spice are there that you'd expect from a competent bottle of Chardonnay. It's a tad too hot from the alcohol, so I'd like the alcohol and bit softer and more subtle next time. For some reason, the Fastferment fermented my wine much sooner than anticipated. My final gravity was achieved at least 8-10 days before schedule. Could that have something to do with the conical shape of the fermenter?

Now onto cleaning and starting my next batch! Is it okay to clean and soak the Fastferment with Oxi-clean Free, followed with a Star-San treatment?

lukie

So I cleaned and sanitized using Oxiclean Free and StarSan respectively. For Oxiclean I used 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and StarSan 1oz per 5gal. as per directions. I cannot believe how much foam still remains after the StarSan is drained, so much so that I had to rinse most of it out before starting my next batch. I saw the videos about not fearing the foam and all, but I just can't bring myself to pour perfectly good wort on top of a half a carboy filled with foam..(I am also extremely sensitive to dishwashing liquid foam left on dishes...I know..its a disease).

Three questions I have stemming from this first mass sanitizing: 1. Will using less StarSan next time to get less foam (say 1/2 oz per 5gal.) be effective? 2. How long does a StarSan treated vessel stay sanitized for? Does infection happen often while making wine w/o using any sanitizer at all?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

shaking starsan will foam it up like crazy, I use a spray bottle for starsan.For the fast ferment, just pour in a cup or 2 and swirl it around to wet all surface. Its all you need.
I wouldn't try not sanitizing. You might get away with it but why risk it??

lukie

bellybuster wrote:shaking starsan will foam it up like crazy, I use a spray bottle for starsan.For the fast ferment, just pour in a cup or 2 and swirl it around to wet all surface. Its all you need.

Okay, that's an interesting method. So you're pouring in a cup or two of diluted StarSan (1oz/5gallon) swirling it around? What I did was poured an ounce of undiluted Starsan into the FastFerment than poured 5 gallons of water and left it for a minute. I guess pouring the water did the shaking... the Fastferment has about 8 gallon capacity and the foam stretched from 5 gallon water level right to the top and when I drained it the thick foam was about a half chamber high.... crazy foam like I said.

lukie

bellybuster wrote:shaking starsan will foam it up like crazy, I use a spray bottle for starsan.For the fast ferment, just pour in a cup or 2 and swirl it around to wet all surface. Its all you need.

I actually wouldn't mind trying this method of swirling a cup of StarSan. What quantity of StarSan do you use for a cup (it must be tiny). :stirpot:

lukie

So I started my next batch of the Argentia wine, this time with bottled spring water to see if there is a difference.

I started on May20th with the SG being 22 brix (or 1.092). On the 26th of May I noticed airlock activity totally decreased so I measured it again to get a sample reading of 7 Brix (or 0.989). My guess is I will keep getting the 7 Brix for the next few days that I test because that was my final gravity in the first batch as well. Is it possible for complete fermentation to take place within just 6 days! I mean, I know they call this thing a Fastferment but the Argentia kit said it's supposed to take around 30 days. Should I go into degassing and stabilization phase already? Not sure what to make of this or whether such a fast fermentation is really desirable.