Mead not fermenting? No bubbles in airlock, foam, etc

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Mead not fermenting? No bubbles in airlock, foam, etc

Post #1 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

I made a cherry pomegranate melomel 2 days ago. I squeezed the fruit for the juice but some pulp went in, but not too much. I added nutrient, energizer, and some pectic enzyme. I pitched my yeast and put the gallon jug in the basement. I noticed there was a ton of foam at the top, from all the shaking to oxygenate, so I couldn't really top it up all the way. It wasn't bubbling after 48 hours so I figured it was too cold down there and brought it upstairs. Now, it's bubbling at a rate of around 1 bubble per 30 seconds. The foam issue is still present.

Could this be why the co2 is not escaping? I'm attaching a picture. Should I sanitize a spoon and shake up that foam cap a bit?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Mead not fermenting? No bubbles in airlock, foam, etc

Post #2 by brhenrio » 2 years ago

If that was beer I would say keep calm and have a cold homebrew! But I am no mead expert as my eyes tell me that's a good vigorous fermentation going on there.
In the fermentor: Skidmark Sour Brown Ale
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:
Tap 2: Kolsch
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
twistandstout

Re: Mead not fermenting? No bubbles in airlock, foam, etc

Post #3 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

It's going now. I had just read about punching the cap when fruit parts would rise to the top like this, but the co2 seems to have created it's own hole in that foam and its fermenting away now.

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”