Got some lavender flowers. What can I do with them?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Got some lavender flowers. What can I do with them?

Post by twistandstout » 3 years ago

I grew lavender in my garden this year and since winter is coming, I was going to trim my garden this week and prepare it for winter. I have around a dozen fully bloomed lavender tips that I can use for something. I could dry them, make tea, etc. I think it would be nice to make another 1 gallon batch of mead. I have enough honey left over for that.

I was thinking,

Lavender vanilla mead? Use the flowers and vanilla beans or something. Could be tasty
Blackberry lavender mead? I could crush some nice, ripe blackberries and make a lavender 'tea' and add that to a carboy with water, honey, and yeast.

Any other fun ideas?

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: Got some lavender flowers. What can I do with them?

Post by XXXXX » 3 years ago

I think you're on the right path with mead. I can't think or anything lavender would be better suited for.

If you go that route I hope you make a thread about it in the recipes section!
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Careful not to use too much lavender. Nobody wants air freshener mead lol
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout » 3 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:Careful not to use too much lavender. Nobody wants air freshener mead lol
Any recommendations as to how much lavender to use for a 1 gallon batch?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

I've only used them for culinary purposes (I'm a chef in real life lol) and never brewing so it may be different as flavours tend to change through fermentation and other yeast activities but with food a little goes a very long way. If it were me, I'd probably make a tincture with the lavender and add it to a known amount of finished mead, a small measured amount at a time till it tasted acceptable. Then with maths you could figure out how much would be needed to make the rest of your mead taste as acceptable as your sample glass. I don't think I'd risk just blindly adding lavender.

But, I'm admittedly not a huge fan of lavender flavour. It smells great and all but Its been used to death by the fragrance industry and all my flavour memory is linked to perfumey things. A glass of alcoholic liquid potpourri just doesn't sound appealing to me lol. Some people love it though...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!