Dead baby bees in my airlock? (100% serious)

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Dead baby bees in my airlock? (100% serious)

Post #1 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

My mead has been fermenting in a 1 gallon carboy for a month. I just brought it up to rack it to secondary on some blueberries and noticed something in my airlock water. Upon closer inspection, they looked like tiny dead bees, drowned in the liquid.

Has anyone ever experienced this? It took me aback, but I can totally see some of these tiny things entering through the top airlock holes and then drowning in the water.

I checked online and found someone had experienced the same thing. Luckily, that person provided pictures, and this is exactly what I saw:

http://imgur.com/L3zMRee

And this is just after I found a gigantic dead house centipede in my main plastic fermentation bucket. :facepalm:
Serratus
Favourite Beer: Little Scrapper IPA

Re: Dead baby bees in my airlock? (100% serious)

Post #2 by Serratus » 2 years ago

Nope. Cannot say I've had bees, let alone baby bees, in my airlock. That being said, the one time I brewed a batch outside, I had two wasps find their way into the wort. The funny part: It was a honey ale. So, naturally, I called it Wasp's Honey.

How'd that batch turn out, anyway?
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

I recently racked my blueberry mead off the blueberries. Now it's aging and clearing nicely. I think once it's been another full month, I'll rack it again for another month to make sure it's really clear and the sediment is at a minimum, then I'll bottle. That will be a total of 4 months in the fermentation jugs, maybe 6 months or so in bottle.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #4 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

Those are fruit flies (Drosophila), which are attracted to the aromas of fermentation. No stingers, just irritating.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”