When is it too late to add pectic enzyme?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

When is it too late to add pectic enzyme?

Post by twistandstout » 3 years ago

My mead has been in primary for about 3 weeks. I was going to leave it for 4 weeks total then rack it onto blueberries (currently frozen) in a secondary carboy. I was planning on adding the pectic enzyme when I rack to secondary.

Is it too late for the pectic enzyme? I'd like a really clear melomel. But I read somewhere that the enzyme should be added before adding the yeast.

Thanks!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: When is it too late to add pectic enzyme?

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

not too late for the enzyme.

twistandstout

Thanks. I'll toss an appropriate amount in once I rack to secondary on the blueberries.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

I haven't used pectic enzyme post fermentation before but I believe I've read that you need to use more then if you added it before. Again, I have no experience and am just regurgitating what I've read...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

twistandstout

SmokeyMcB wrote:I haven't used pectic enzyme post fermentation before but I believe I've read that you need to use more then if you added it before. Again, I have no experience and am just regurgitating what I've read...
Do you know how much I should add for a 2.5 gallon batch using 2 pounds of thawed blueberries?

twistandstout

I'm supposed to rack this mead onto blueberries tonight but I'm still at a loss as to how much enzyme to add. At this point, I'm just going to fill a small glass when racking, dissolve 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme, and add it to the secondary on top of the blueberries.

Does this sound alright?

bellybuster

1/4 teaspoon per gallon which is double from prefermentatiion

twistandstout

bellybuster wrote:1/4 teaspoon per gallon which is double from prefermentatiion
I added a pretty full teaspoon :facepalm:

I'm assuming it won't make a massive difference, but....will it?

Crushing the thawed blueberries was pretty fun. Got a lot of really great juice/jam/pulp from it, but the inside of my carboy is lined with mashed blueberries, and that will not get fermented as only half the carboy is filled with mead. Any risk of rotting or anything like that?

I'm also wondering how much mead the blueberries will absorb? It's only a 1 gallon batch on 2 pounds of berries. I wonder if I can squeeze the mead out of the blueberries when racking again or if that is just completely bad practice?

bellybuster

Past my level of knowledge, I've honestly never put that much thoughts into my meads.
I think I would probably make sure there were no berries stuck to the side above the liquid. I imagine it might mold?
maybe one of the many mead sites would be your best bet??