Making Cyser or Cider using apples from a tree in backyard

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Making Cyser or Cider using apples from a tree in backya

Post #11 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

I would recommend against boiling, for two reasons. The first is that you're going to drive off the aromatics and darken darken the color. Secondly, complete sterility is not required - you are simply looking to inhibit the wild bugs long enough for the yeast you pitch to kill 'em off. Simple heat pasteurization is sufficient - add any sugar or nutrient, heat to 180f (~83c), hold for 10 min, and cool. Pitch the yeast as soon as you reach pitching temps.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
twistandstout

Post #12 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

I see. So I don't have to boil at all to pasteurize? I'm just trying to avoid using camden tablets.

So I would add the nutrients and sugar, mix it up, and heat the must on the stove? Sounds doable. I had my reservations about boiling, so this is a lot better. Thanks for the tip!
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #13 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

Short-term heating to non-boiling temps is typically sufficient for pasteurization and while you'll loose some flavour/aromatics, you'll loose far less than with boiling.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
twistandstout

Post #14 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Excellent, thanks!

I think the apples growing on the tree in the backyard are a normal edible apple, but the tree is extremely tall and has never been pruned, and I read this limits the size of the apples. I found one yesterday that was half red, around the size of a tennis ball if not slightly larger, and when I ate it it was pretty good, albeit still a bit sour. They're falling daily, but when are apples really ready for cider making? I was going to place a tarp on the lawn beneath the tree during the first week of september and collected a bunch of apples. The tree is so tall that using a ladder is pretty much out of the question.

I was thinking of making different 1 gallon batches of cider, perhaps adding different fruits such as raspberries to some batches, maybe dry-hopping others, use some cinnamon, etc. Experiment a bit. How many pounds of apples do you think I'd need to extract a good 5 gallons of juice? I'm assuming a ton. :O
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #15 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

I'm trying to remember... I think last time we made a cider, we used a mix of apples, crabapples and pears and used about 80 lbs for 10 gallons... I think that was it...
twistandstout

Post #16 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:I'm trying to remember... I think last time we made a cider, we used a mix of apples, crabapples and pears and used about 80 lbs for 10 gallons... I think that was it...

So 40 pounds, eh? Damn, that's a whole lotta apples. I just found some groupon coupon for 20 pounds of orchard apples (picked by yourself) for 9$. Maybe I'll do that and add my own. Most of the apples are leaning into the neighbour's yard and I don't know these people, but maybe I'll become friendly with them to claim what's mine :laugh:

Then again, my other neighbour has a full cherry tree he lets go to waste...the squirrels love it. Maybe next summer I'll try a cherry wheat or cherry wine or cherry mead or something, if I get to know them.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #17 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

I have three crabapple trees in two of my three neighbours yards. It'll make cul-de-sac wine...
twistandstout

Post #18 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:I have three crabapple trees in two of my three neighbours yards. It'll make cul-de-sac wine...

Nice. That's what you should call it :D

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”