Blueberry melomel - Want to make sure I'm doing it right

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Blueberry melomel - Want to make sure I'm doing it right

Post #1 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

I am currently making a blueberry melomel. It is my first try making mead. I am making a 1 gallon batch.

So far, I used 3 pounds of blueberry blossom honey and mixed it in spring water, added it to my sanitized 1 gallon jug, added some yeast nutrient and the yeast itself (lalvin d47), shook the heck out of it, stuck the airlock on, and it's been down in the basement for a week. It started bubbling quite quickly and is currently bubbling at a steady pace of around 3 bubbles per 10 seconds.

Upon reading many sources, I've decided to add all the fruit to secondary. I am planning on using 2 pounds of blueberries. They are currently frozen. I will let the must ferment for a total of 30 days, then planned on racking it into a new jug with 2 pounds of thawed, squished blueberries at the bottom. Once that is done, I was going to leave it there for 30 days. Afterwards, I was planning on racking the mead to another jug, leaving the fruit behind. After this, I am either going to let it age for 30 days or so in this new jug and then bottle it.

Can anyone find any faults in my plan and give me recommendations or tips to ensure I get a good batch? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot! :wave:
oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Re: Blueberry melomel - Want to make sure I'm doing it right

Post #2 by oro » 2 years ago

I dont know mead brewing, but 2lbs of fruit will absorb a bit of the mead, you may not end with allot if starting with 1 gallon.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

oro wrote:I dont know mead brewing, but 2lbs of fruit will absorb a bit of the mead, you may not end with allot if starting with 1 gallon.

Good point....hadn't thought of that.

Any way to rectify this?
twistandstout

Post #4 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Still a bit unsure as to how long I should leave my mead on the blueberries in secondary. So far, the mead has been fermenting for about 2 weeks. It's slowed down considerably judging by the airlock activity.

I was going to leave it 1 month and rack it onto my blueberries and leave that there for another month. Is 1 month on the fruit enough/too much? Upon racking onto the fruit, I was going to add some pectic enzyme for clarification.

Make sense?

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”