Is yeast energizer absolutely mandatory for mead?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Is yeast energizer absolutely mandatory for mead?

Post #1 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

I'm in the process of making blueberry mead. I will be adding all the blueberries in secondary. I'm reading mixed opinions about energizer being necessary. Some say to add a teaspoon of both nutrient and energizer and then pitch the yeast, put the airlock in, and let it go. Others are saying nutrient only should be fine. Some say you can add raisins and oranges as substitutes for nutrients and energizer.

I bought yeast nutrient and will be adding that to the must before pitching the yeast, but I'm wondering if neglecting to add energizer will adversely affect my mead.

Thanks!
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Is yeast energizer absolutely mandatory for mead?

Post #2 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, yeast energizer is DME with added glucose and a few trace elements. Almost a yeast nutrient plus DME. I would dose yeast nutrient before you pitch the yeast (make sure it is dissolved well) and dose a little bit more during the active stage of fermentation...
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:If I'm not mistaken, yeast energizer is DME with added glucose and a few trace elements. Almost a yeast nutrient plus DME. I would dose yeast nutrient before you pitch the yeast (make sure it is dissolved well) and dose a little bit more during the active stage of fermentation...

So the energizer wouldn't be mandatory, then? By dose, do you mean dissolve in water until it is 'homogenous' and then throw it into the fermentation vessel?

As for my yeast, I had no luck finding Lalvin d47 in stores, seems like everyone around these parts only carries EC1118. I ordered online for 88 cents a pack and will be receiving it in the next day or two, so I'm pretty excited to start this mead. My blueberries I'm growing are a little sour and there won't be enough, so I'm going to buy some on sale today. 3 packs for 6 dollars.

Here is a side question - for 1 gallon of mead, how many blueberries would you recommend? A pound? I'm adding them in secondary only. Will freeze first, then thaw, crush, and toss in.

Thank you once more for all your help, it's very much appreciated. :cheers:
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #4 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

I wouldn't think so that the energizer by itself is too mandatory (Wyeast will hate me for that comment).
Yes, "dose" is the technical term for "add to system"...

just boil and cool a shotglass of water and dissolve the yeast nutrient in there...

I've used the EC1118 during my undergrad days, we used it in bioreactors to get to huge cell numbers, harvest the yeast, crack it open and isolate a certain enzyme from it (Alcohol Dehydrogenase), one can use that enzyme to test the alcohol content. If I only had a photospectrometer available to me... *sigh*

As for adding the blueberries, I have no idea - I've never even made mead... :cheers:
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #5 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

If you've purchased a quality yeast nutrient - i.e. one that is lysed yeast, rather than straight-up DAP* - you don't need the energizer. The main purpose of the nutrient is to provide the various amino acids and metals that are missing from mead musts. Lysed yeast has all of that; DAP is just a nitrogen source and is insufficient to the task.

*Lysed yeast-based nutrient will be amber or brown in colour; DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) is a crystalline white solid.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
twistandstout

Post #6 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Warthaug wrote:If you've purchased a quality yeast nutrient - i.e. one that is lysed yeast, rather than straight-up DAP* - you don't need the energizer. The main purpose of the nutrient is to provide the various amino acids and metals that are missing from mead musts. Lysed yeast has all of that; DAP is just a nitrogen source and is insufficient to the task.

*Lysed yeast-based nutrient will be amber or brown in colour; DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) is a crystalline white solid.

B

Crap, well I got the latter and only added that to my must. Crystalline white, smelled weird, kind of like chlorine. I'm wondering if my mead will be okay now.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #7 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

I've used DAP regularly because I bought a huge sack of the stuff before I knew better. My results have been pretty good. No weird pissy smells or off flavours. Its probably not the best stuff but it works ok and keeps away the rhino farts for me so...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #8 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

The issue with DAP is that it doesn't have the metals in it that yeast need (zink, trace copper, etc). You're mead will still likely finish, but it'll take longer & may need more ageing prior to clean up some of the off-flavours. Here's a good video that goes over how to make award-winning meads. I've followed its advice relgiously (twice, I don't make much mead) and my results have been fantastic!

https://youtu.be/IwjAZI86bOo
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #9 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm not say'n its the greatest or anything just that if its what the O.P has or used that the mead still could turn out great.

For the record, after my D.A.P. is gone, i'll be replacing with some quality yeast nutrient...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
twistandstout

Post #10 by twistandstout » 2 years ago

Warthaug wrote:The issue with DAP is that it doesn't have the metals in it that yeast need (zink, trace copper, etc). You're mead will still likely finish, but it'll take longer & may need more ageing prior to clean up some of the off-flavours. Here's a good video that goes over how to make award-winning meads. I've followed its advice relgiously (twice, I don't make much mead) and my results have been fantastic!

https://youtu.be/IwjAZI86bOo

Very cool video, definitely bookmarked it. Fermaid-K seems to be what I need since my nutrient I bought may not be sufficient.

But damn does that guy add a lot of fruit :stirpot:

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”