Missing bottles dammit

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Missing bottles dammit

Post #1 by Venari » 3 years ago

So today I was going to bottle 5 gallons of red when I noticed that the boxes i keep the bottles in where feeling light. I opened them to find that i had gone from 6 dozen bottles to a dozen and a half. Either the old lady's been a little liberal with gifting to her friends, or somebody's got sticky fingers. :@

Now i dont have enough bottles to bottle, and im half tempted to empty the carboy into the sink to teach them a lesson. I cant figure another way to deal with them, because i currently dont have a way to prevent these bottles from walking away when im not home :(

I wish I could just move back to Ottawa :facepalm:
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Re: Missing bottles dammit

Post #2 by Mr_Tastyfish » 3 years ago

WTF? They don't even wait for you to fill the bottles anymore? Who steals empty bottles?
Venari

Post #3 by Venari » 3 years ago

What i'm assuming is happening is that the full bottles are walking away on their own, and don't come back when they're empty.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #4 by ECH » 3 years ago

You need to lock this stuff up, multiple locks, different keys.
Venari

Post #5 by Venari » 3 years ago

The thing is, there's nowhere to lock them into. The place is too small to get a locking cabinet, and the cost of shipping one up here anyway is pretty high.

I could try hiding them, but there aren't a lot of options.
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #6 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

you're a much bigger man than I Venari.
Venari

Post #7 by Venari » 3 years ago

I've let it be known that the carboy would be emptied down the bathtub drain unless I received all my bottles back by the end of today.

Miraculously, I now have 4 dozen bottles (some mine, some not) in the dining room from "anonymous donors".

A dozen and a half to go!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #8 by ECH » 3 years ago

I assume you are renting a room in a house, does your room not have, or at least capable of locking the door? Closet in your room? Lock it.

Mind you having worked in places like that all over the north, the lock is really only to keep out honest people, if they know booze is there, and they want to get at it, they will, lock be damned.
Venari

Post #9 by Venari » 3 years ago

ECH wrote:I assume you are renting a room in a house, does your room not have, or at least capable of locking the door? Closet in your room? Lock it.

Mind you having worked in places like that all over the north, the lock is really only to keep out honest people, if they know booze is there, and they want to get at it, they will, lock be damned.

We're renting a townhouse.

We're not allowed to make modifications to the place (Although a locking doorknob can be switched back out later, I guess), they've even gone so far as to ban nails/tacks in the wall. The closet has one of those folding doors that slides open, and pins that can be removed from the floor to simply remove the door altogether.

Considering that my biggest threat to booze storage also forces her husband to replace his own locked door 7 times a year, I'm not sure if I want to lock my door.

I'll just have to infect some of the booze and keep those bottles on top, I guess. Maybe a laxative as a punishment for thieves?
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #10 by Goulaigan » 3 years ago

Just make sure you don't forget which ones you put it in lol...

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”