Lager yeast for wine?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Lager yeast for wine?

Post #1 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Hi all,

I came across some high end smoothies (outdated at work) with no preservatives, nothing but fruit puree so i grabbed them. There's just over 3 gallons of the stuff there and I'm itching to get it fermenting.

My question is if I can use some lager yeast that I have kicking around here? The yeast is Saflager 34/70. Also, if its ok to use lager yeast for this wine, will one 11g packet be enough?

Thanks for any help...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Lager yeast for wine?

Post #2 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

I think it should work fine, you might get not your traditional wine (but you wouldn't anyways with the smoothie mix). I thought about using the lager yeast (precisely that one) to make a cider...

I'd be interested in what you find...
SmokeyMcB

Post #3 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

If I use it, I'll keep you updated.

So... 1 packet of 34/70 rehydrated for the 3 gallons, or should I make a couple liter starter??
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Doc_Drive

Post #4 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

I think one pack should be enough. It would be a little light for a full 5 gallons but should be sufficient for 3 gal.

There is a formula...

Lager: 1,500,000 cells / mL / Plato
Ale: 750,000 cells / mL / Plato

So if your wine has an OG of 20 Plato (1.080) and you got 12 L (12,000 mL), you would need 1,500,000 * 20 * 12,000 = 360 billion cells.

At 12.5 Plato (1.050) you would need 225 billion cells...

In a pack of 11 g W34/70, there is 66 billion cells. So technically you would need about 50 grams of W34/70. I find that a little much but if you go textbook, you'd probably need to make a starter...
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post #5 by Mr_Tastyfish » 2 years ago

I'd suggest adding some sort of yeast nutrient to your smoothie must... so that the lager yeast has something besides fruit to munch on.
In The Fermentors...
American Pale Ale
Kitchen Concoction #1
Tap #1
White IPA
Tap #2
Stormy Monday Amber
In The Bottles...
Raspberry Weissbier
Blueberry Weissbier
Winter Porter
Blonde Ale
Apple Cider #2
Raspberry, Orange and Tangerine Mead
Cooper's Ginger Beer

Plus a wide selection of wines made by Ms_Tastyfish
SmokeyMcB

Post #6 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Thanks for the tip Tasty! I'll be sure to dose it with nutrients. I'll also dump in some pectic enzyme and hope it'll clear out ok.

I've got a 2L starter going now and I'm gonna step it up with another 2L's when this one is done. That way I can harvest a little to save for the beer that I bought this yeast for lol....
SmokeyMcB

Post #7 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Ok peeps,

I did a 2L starter, crashed and decanted, then topped up with another 2L of wort. Its been crashing for a couple of days now and I think I'm ready to get going.

I do have a question though. How much of the starter should I pitch and how much should I harvest for another brew? I was thinking of decanting the starter beer and saving a WL vial full, then pitching the rest? Its 3.1 us gallons at around 1.060...

Thanks for any help.
Doc_Drive

Post #8 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

You can't overpitch with a lager yeast... You want as much yeast as possible...
SmokeyMcB

Post #9 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Got this in the bucket with a couple lbs of fruit that was in my freezer. Watered it down and added a little demerara sugar. Ended up with close to 5 gallons with an OG of 1.045ish. The must was pretty thick and it made the reading very difficult to obtain. Pretty sure 1045 is in the ball park of the actual but I'm not too worried really. If it ferments to "dry" I'll still be in the 7-8% range and that'll be just fine.

With the larger volume, I'm thinking of just pitching the whole amount of yeast and not saving any. That should be somewhere around 400b cells...
SmokeyMcB

Post #10 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Alright, I campden bombed it, let it be for 12 or so hours then added pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Gave it another 16 or so hours and pitched all but a WL vial full of decanted starter. I pitched at 8c and upped the stc to 10c for fermentation.

Will I still need to do a d-rest with this? My plan is to do one at maybe 1.010ish as I'm assuming this will go below 1.000 before it stops. Any thoughts?

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”