Lager yeast for wine?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Lager yeast for wine?

Post #21 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

Awesome! I wish I could sample some of that once it's done... ;)
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #22 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Took a gravity sample just now. SG is at 1.000 at 13.5c and the flavours are awesome. I think i'll soon transfer to a carboy and give it some age and settle time.

This begs the question of whether I should bulk age at coolish room temp like I normally would with ale or wine yeast? Or if I should bulk age at lager temps (close to 0c)? Or will it even matter?
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #23 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

You'll get different flavors. There is a bunch of controversy around that. Do you want it sparkling or not? If not, I'd keep it at 0 to 2 C for probably at least 6 weeks if you are that patient...
SmokeyMcB

Post #24 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

I do want it sparkling but I have more 34/70 so I don't think storage temps will matter.

Or, I guess as another option, I could bottle carb and then cold store the bottles once conditioned...

What would the flavour differences be between cold and warm(er) conditioning?
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
SmokeyMcB

Post #25 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Racked this bad boy to secondary today and my god, its delicious! Super fruity with a tropical fruit tartness and a smooth banana finish. It almost tastes like the must before fermentation, minus the sugar of course. Seems that most of the fruit flavours made it through the cold fermentation beautifully. Its resting comfortably at 12c right now and in a few days, i'll start to lower the temp for a bit of "lagering"...

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”