Raspberry, Orange and Tangerine Mead

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post #1 by Mr_Tastyfish » 2 years ago

So, I don't really know much about mead... but that hasn't stopped me from making an attempt. :stirpot:

Here's what I put together... 2 Kg Kawartha Lakes Honey (Clover). 2 large navel oranges and 2 tangerines that had been used for zest in my witbier then frozen, partially thawed and cut into pieces. One 600g bag of frozen raspberries, thawed. 500g table sugar (sucrose). Boiled a kettle of water, and used it to help funnel all the ingredients into a sanitized 11.5L carboy. Mixed the whole works real good and topped up with filtered water. Decided that rather than pitch a yeast right away, I'd toss in a campden tablet and let it sit overnight. I'll be using Lalvin EC1118 to ferment, and plan to bottle-condition with more honey for a sparkling melomel.
In The Fermentors...
Air n' sanitizer
In The Bottles...
Winter Porter
Juicin' IPA
Blonde Ale
Apple Cider #2
Cooper's Ginger Beer

Plus a wide selection of wines made by Ms_Tastyfish
Serratus
Favourite Beer: Little Scrapper IPA

Re: Raspberry, Orange and Tangerine Mead

Post #2 by Serratus » 2 years ago

How did the fermentation go? Have you racked it yet? How long do you plan on aging it - I've heard the mead takes a year?
Mr_Tastyfish

Post #3 by Mr_Tastyfish » 2 years ago

Fermentation was quite vigorous during the first week, and smelled absolutely delicious! Unfortunately, the fact that it smelled so good during fermentation meant that a lot of those aromatic flavour compounds were escaping into my laundry room instead of staying in the mead. I wish I could give you more details as far as how long it took to ferment, and what the original and final gravities were, but I didn't write any of it down. I'm sure I must have let it sit in the carboy for at least a month before bottling, but remember that once the fermentation had ended, it seemed to clear quite well. I did open a bottle, not too long ago and the results were not terrible. I'm not going to say it's the best thing I've ever made, but hopefully it improves with age.
In The Fermentors...
Air n' sanitizer
In The Bottles...
Winter Porter
Juicin' IPA
Blonde Ale
Apple Cider #2
Cooper's Ginger Beer

Serratus
Favourite Beer: Little Scrapper IPA

Post #4 by Serratus » 2 years ago

Thanks. Let me know how your mead changes with time.
Mr_Tastyfish

Post #5 by Mr_Tastyfish » 2 years ago

Also, it should be noted that I back-sweetened the mead with Splenda sweetener because it's not fermentable and at bottling time the mead tasted way too sour. Not sour, like you'd get from a bacterial infection... just sour as in all of the sweetness of the fruit and honey had fermented out. When I sampled the first bottle, it was still tart but the Splenda helped balance it a little.
In The Fermentors...
Air n' sanitizer
In The Bottles...
Winter Porter
Juicin' IPA
Blonde Ale
Apple Cider #2
Cooper's Ginger Beer

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”