Store bought mead

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Store bought mead

Post #1 by jamatron » 3 years ago

I'm thinking of making a mead but havn't ever tried one before. Does anyone know any places in the edmonton area that i can purchase one and sample it before i take the plunge? Also for those of u that have made some and because it takes so long to age-would you have made a double batch to begin with? Or is it the type of drink that you'd only have once in a while?
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
jamatron

Re: Store bought mead

Post #2 by jamatron » 3 years ago

Well i found some at "Wine And Beyond" in Emerald Hills. they had 5 or 6 different brands. I bought a Maxwell spiced mead and a Fallentimber Meadery traditional mead. I didnt realize it was more of a wine than a beer and as im not much of wine drinker....I might not be making any mead ater all.
-Flying Monkeys
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #3 by XXXXX » 3 years ago

The only one I've tried is made by Trafalgar Breweries in Oakville, ON.

The flavour is very "winey" and it is dry. I do enjoy it once in a while, but not enough to make 5 gallons at a time. The cost of honey is pretty high, too.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #4 by ECH » 3 years ago

XXXXX wrote:The only one I've tried is made by Trafalgar Breweries in Oakville, ON.

The flavour is very "winey" and it is dry. I do enjoy it once in a while, but not enough to make 5 gallons at a time. The cost of honey is pretty high, too.

Had this one earlier in the week, buddy brought it down from Ont. Was my first mead, and don't know if all meads are like the Trafalgar one, but to me it was more of a cider, just with less apple and mild honey flavor.

Was good, cool bottle it came in as well.
jamatron

Post #5 by jamatron » 3 years ago

I sampled the fallentimber mead last night (produced in Alberta) and it wasnt too bad, fairly sweet. It did have that strong alcohol smell but surprisingly no "Bite" . All in all i liked it. Im brewing up some of my " Nasty Dragon" today and will try the maxwell spiced mead while brewing. Have any of you made a mead let it age and then transfered to a cornie keg and carbonated it? :O :stirpot:
-Flying Monkeys

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”