newfoundland lemon gin?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 5 years ago

calling all fellow newf's been 20 years since I made a batch, but got recipe off a buddy on homebrewtalk
recipe he gave is

1 gal. warm water
2 packs of rasins
4 1/2 cups of sugar/molasses
3 lemons(sliced)
2 oranges (sliced)
1 slice of bread
1 pack of yeast.

mix all ingredients in 5 gallon bucket exept yeast and bread. when ingredients are mixed lay bread on top of mixture, then pour yeast on top of bread cover and let stand for 1 month strain and bottle for 1 week. dont have stoppers on tight. when clear its ready to drink.

question's
my mother taught e to slightly toast bread so it don't fall about.
any one ever try to not us thee bread?
also taught to drape a damp towl over pail, would a lid and airlock be better?
taught to bottle lossly any one try to carb there brew?
also any ones try to use half raisin and half craison?
I was taught bread yeast any one trys brewers?

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 5 years ago

also if have another recipe? cause I rember moms recipe being 5 gallon finished brew.

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 5 years ago

before some one sais wrongs forum, nerf gin is technicaly a citric wine.

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 5 years ago

aloso's think's a mr beer make a good lemon gin fermentor?

User avatar
SmokeyMcB
Posts: 357
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: None
Location: Somewhere between Toronto & Haliburton

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by SmokeyMcB » 5 years ago

I've never made lemon gin but god knows I've thrown enough of it up lol!! Used to buy it for 5 bucks a 2L when I was a kid back home. Got a few good memories and a ton of bad ones based around that stuff.

The only thing I can say is that when I fermented out frozen 5 alive it tasted (and smelled) very similar (although cleaner) than the lemon gin that I remembered. Maybe cleaner from the better yeast and no bread. I did add raisins to the mix as well, oh and also, I carbonated the 5 alive wine.

Good luck and if you figure it out proper, I'd love to know what you did. I may just try your original recipe to see how it works out.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 5 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:I've never made lemon gin but god knows I've thrown enough of it up lol!! Used to buy it for 5 bucks a 2L when I was a kid back home. Got a few good memories and a ton of bad ones based around that stuff.

The only thing I can say is that when I fermented out frozen 5 alive it tasted (and smelled) very similar (although cleaner) than the lemon gin that I remembered. Maybe cleaner from the better yeast and no bread. I did add raisins to the mix as well, oh and also, I carbonated the 5 alive wine.

Good luck and if you figure it out proper, I'd love to know what you did. I may just try your original recipe to see how it works out.
I beleave the guy that gave me recipe left out step, I beleave need add cold water after a litter steep to bring volume up to 5 gallon, I use to make it with my mother but been over 20 years.
and love your photo I already told my sister to have a cold on in fridge when I come home in 4 weeks (live in Toronto)

User avatar
SmokeyMcB
Posts: 357
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: None
Location: Somewhere between Toronto & Haliburton

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by SmokeyMcB » 5 years ago

I haven't been home in 5 or 6 years, I'm in Toronto too.

I'd guess that it needs more water too. Its like one third sugar! What I'd do is make the recipe and add water till a hydrometer puts the liquids gravity in a sensible range. My guess is that your recipe might have too much sugar to ferment, maybe. Have you tried googling a recipe for it and comparing it to yours?
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 4 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:I haven't been home in 5 or 6 years, I'm in Toronto too.

I'd guess that it needs more water too. Its like one third sugar! What I'd do is make the recipe and add water till a hydrometer puts the liquids gravity in a sensible range. My guess is that your recipe might have too much sugar to ferment, maybe. Have you tried googling a recipe for it and comparing it to yours?
don't forget lemon gin is a fruit wine, so 11-14% alcohol . finally going try this next week when i have an empty fermenter .

User avatar
SmokeyMcB
Posts: 357
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: None
Location: Somewhere between Toronto & Haliburton

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

Do it man! And let me know how it turns out...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

jason1973
Posts: 47
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: my own

Re: newfoundland lemon gin?

Post by jason1973 » 4 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:Do it man! And let me know how it turns out...
decided do it sunday, its already fermenting based on math looking at maybe 13%
and will probaly put in secondary in few weeks.

Post Reply