Filter Pumps and Degassing ?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Filter Pumps and Degassing ?

Post by JimmehBrew » 4 years ago

I think wingeezer has a wine filter pump and I have a question about the need to degas if using one ? Is this step necessary if your filter guys , right now I vacuum degas with a bleeder pump.

works great, but if filtering takes care of this step why bother ?

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Re: Filter Pumps and Degassing ?

Post by Wingeezer » 4 years ago

Are you speaking about wine or beer?

I do have a Buon Vino"Mini Jet" power filter that I have used for years when making wine. It really gives the wine a nice crystal clear look (I make only whites - reds give me migraines!) It uses a set of three thick filter pads that are disposed after use.

As well, I use a Lab type electric vacuum pump to degass the wine - I do this after filtering and it always amazes me how much degassing is needed. I do this in a carboy and keep the pump running until I see no more bubbles rising in the filtered wine - it can sometimes take 20 minutes or more.

When I first got back into beer making a coupe of years ago, I thought about using the filter with my beer - but I have never yet tried it and probably won't.

As a rule my beers turn out just fine with a combination of Irish moss and gelatin. I don't feel that filtering would be worth the effort. It is quite a bit of extra work and the filter pads (about $3 a set) are only good for a single use. Not a big deal, but why incur the extra $ and time if it serves title purpose.

I would also be a bit concerned about getting oxygen in the beer. I sometimes have trouble getting a really tight connection on the intake side of the filter pump. When this happens air can get sucked in on the intake side and as you can imagine, it really aerates the wine - not good!

I try to avoid it by ensuring the hose connection on the intake side of the filter pump is really tight, and the O ring in the snap on connector is well lubed. Usually does the trick.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

JimmehBrew

Thanks Brian, where did you buy the vacuum pump from ? I see some on eBay but not sure what to get and yes wine :)

Wingeezer

JimmehBrew wrote:Thanks Brian, where did you buy the vacuum pump from ? I see some on eBay but not sure what to get and yes wine :)

Hi Jim,

I lucked out in finding the vacuum pump! I found it at a garage sale and bought it for the exorbitant asking price of $3 !!

The lady said she thought it was an aquarium pump, but I was pretty sure it was a vacuum pump.

When I bought it, I wasn't sure what the heck I wanted if for, but it seemed such a nicely made piece of gear I couldn't pass it up!

Turned out to be great for degassing carboys of wine!

It is about the same size and appearance as one of those small air compressors that they use for airbrushing and pretty much the same design - i.e. a diaphragm unit

Not sure where you could get one, but I'm sure one like this would be fairly costly (I'm sure it was meant for lab use) and I wouldn't have paid the price to buy one new.

I do also have an airbrush compressor and have wondered if I hooked up the intake to a suction hoe if it might not work the same way! (i.e. using it to pull a vacuum rather than develop pressure.) Never tried it though. I'm sure have seen Chinese versions of those small compressors at flea markets for under $100. The one I have is a US made model. (also bought at a garage sale!)

You might check with one of those "make your own wine" places to see what they use, I think many of them vacuum degass the wines.

Brian.

JimmehBrew

Brian could you share a pic of your vac please ?

I'm thinking between a vac pump and a filter I could do all with just it, but I want to make sure I'm purchasing the right thing. Thank you

Wingeezer

Hi Jim,

Just took a pic for you, but now, I don't know how to attach to this forum post!

If you want to email me at bricon1@cogeco.ca so I will have your email address, I can send you the pics that way.

Cheers ........ Brian.