Wine Time

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: Wine Time

Post #41 by jamatron » 3 years ago

Sweet fridge, where would a guy get something like that?
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #42 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Its an industrial underline 2 door prep fridge. Try Kijiji, that's where I got that one. They're widely used in restaurants, so maybe try a used restaruant equipment shop too...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post #43 by Venari » 3 years ago

Would I be able to add fruit juice to a batch of Costco's Pinot Grigio?
After reading this thread I was debating finding some strawberry juice and adding it in, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you think that would work flavour-wise, or if any problems would come in from the extra fruit sugars.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
SmokeyMcB

Post #44 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Venari wrote:Would I be able to add fruit juice to a batch of Costco's Pinot Grigio?
After reading this thread I was debating finding some strawberry juice and adding it in, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you think that would work flavour-wise, or if any problems would come in from the extra fruit sugars.

If the wine kit is already for 5 gal, I wouldn't add any juice. If the kit is for less, I might think about adding juice. Thats only because I'm not a fan of doing less than 5 gal at a time. If your kit is for 5 gal, still grab the strawberry and make another small batch of wine. Or maybe blend some strawberry into a portion of your kit wine at secondary in a separate bottle, allow it to finish fermenting and have 2 different wines from your kit.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
SmokeyMcB

Post #45 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

hey, anyone got any wine going on?

I've got a batch of perry and a batch of skeeter pee recently bottled as well as a batch of purple yak and a batch of apple cider ready to be bottled.

(full disclosure: the apple cider might be vinegar lol!)
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #46 by JimmehBrew » 2 years ago

I made some apple wine that I have clearing in the keg now. 18 cans of plain old apple juice and 2 cups of sugar. We've sampled a few glasses already and it packs a wallup punch :)
SmokeyMcB

Post #47 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Nice! I only have 2 beer bottles full of crab apple wine left. Thought I had 5 gallons of cider ready to bottle but when I tasted it a month ago it was pretty puckery, maybe vinegarish. I sealed it back up and left it there in disgust lol. It never grew a pellicle or anything so I didn't want to dump it incase it was just super tart and tannic and I couldn't tell the difference between that and sour. I guess the only way to know for sure is to test the P.H.?
JimmehBrew

Post #48 by JimmehBrew » 2 years ago

Well I picked up a Buon vino super wine filter machine for a great price. So this weekend since I have no beer ready :( I have a wine mistake that I made so I'll be trying it out to clear my Apple wine. Thought I would go right from the fermenter to a keg and naturally carbonate the bugger, experiment failed miserably :P

I'm also going to ferment another apples wine tomorrow and next will be me purple panty parting wine lol. I ferment concord grape juice with alittle sugar added not a lot because it is naturally 1.060 og. We buy the grape juice at Costco for a lot less than welches at the grocery stores :cheers:

Then back to brewing dagnabit !
SmokeyMcB

Post #49 by SmokeyMcB » 2 years ago

Good stuff Jimmy!

I've got me one of those wine filters too. A friend donated it to me after his grandfather passed away. I'm kinda scared to use it to tell you the truth lol, I'm usually as "hands off" with my ferments as possible. Maybe you'd be so kind as to give a little update after you use it on your apple wine as to its effectiveness and ease of use?

SmokeyMcB wrote:
(full disclosure: the apple cider might be vinegar lol!)

So, the apple cider ended up being drain cleaner....

But, never cry over spill't milk right?

I've replaced that cider with 3 gallons of cider with ec-1118 and 3 gallons of graf with notty. The graf smells exceptional!
JimmehBrew

Post #50 by JimmehBrew » 2 years ago

Smokey the filter works absolutely awesome, I've used it with the #2 pads , but absolutely love the #3 .5 micron pads. From fermenter to keg, yes keg I hate bottles LoL, ready to drink and Crystal clear.

Just making a batch of purple panty removal, but fermenting using SO4 this time to see what it does instead of the lavalin. I'm looking forward to seeing what the #3 filter pads do to it.

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”