Wine Time

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Re: Wine Time

Post #21 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

My cousin is on his way as we speak with a bunch of cans of frozen grape concentrate! Looks like I'm gonna attempt a "Toilet Merlot"!!
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post #22 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:My cousin is on his way as we speak with a bunch of cans of frozen grape concentrate! Looks like I'm gonna attempt a "Toilet Merlot"!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
SmokeyMcB

Post #23 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

so... 2 cans of frozen pink lemonade, one can of frozen mixed berry and 6 cans of frozen grape concentrate along with 2kg of sugar and water to 21L ended up at 1.062. I stole some into a gallon jar and added one pack of ec 1118. I've been feeding the starter with must since last night, I'll pitch later tonight because I "sanitized" the must with campden and have to wait 24hrs for it to gas off. The starter smells fantastic though.....
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
JimmehBrew

Post #24 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Well I am presently fermenting another chardonnay wine kit from Costco, but again have added as much water as I can to reduce the OG to 1.055 -1.060 and will transfer to secondary here soon. Now I've been making wine coolers out of these kits lately as my wife rather enjoys them, but I'm going to try using the concentrated juices this time instead of adding a bottle of Fruite Juice to each 5 gal secondary. I am getting 15 gals out of the kits in this manner instead of the regular 10gal.

1 will be Watermellon, 1 Pink lemonade, and 1 I think strawberry

Then my beer will be alllllll mine :cheers:
SmokeyMcB

Post #25 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

How's the wine boys??

I've got a carboy of crab apple wine with ec 1118 that came out of primary about 2 weeks ago, a little pucker-ee but not in a terrible way lol. That one came from fresh crushed crab apples from a buddies tree, some white sugar and yeast nutrient. I ground the apples and fermented the juice on the pulp for a week and a bit then strained and transfered to the carboy.

Later today, I'm gonna be pitching the yeast on another bucket of some kinda yak. This one is 3 cans frozen lemonade, 1 can frozen pink lemonade, and 2 cans frozen limeade. To that I added 2.25kg asian pear, 0.75kg strawberries, 0.25kg blackberries, 1.75kg banana, 0.25kg peach, 1.75kg pineapple and water to 23L. All the fruit was horded into my freezer just before it over ripened or when replaced by fresh fruit in our fruit bowl, I had two vials of wlp028 scottish ale yeast given to me (outdated by a month lol) so my only cost on this batch is for 6 cans of frozen juice concentrate and however much sugar it'll take to bring it to a good OG. I have a starter of old yeast bubbling away happily and as soon as the campden gasses out of the must, I'll adjust the sugar to a nice SG and pitch. Oh, it'll get pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and maybe some wine tannin.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, the "toilet merlot" was a fantastic hit!! everyone, and I mean everyone loved it lol!!

So, what 'cha got on the go???
SmokeyMcB

Post #26 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

SmokeyMcB wrote:My cousin is on his way as we speak with a bunch of cans of frozen grape concentrate! Looks like I'm gonna attempt a "Toilet Merlot"!!

And here it is:
purple yak.jpg

Its absolutely fabulous by the way lol!!
SmokeyMcB

Post #27 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Thought I'd bump this one up again...

I just racked my perry into secondary and whipped together a batch of skeeter pee to use the beautiful yeast cake from the perry.

Anyone else winemaking these days?
JimmehBrew

Post #28 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

I made some concord grape wine and been making a lot of Apple juice cider.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post #29 by Venari » 3 years ago

How much frozen juice did you add to each carbouy?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
SmokeyMcB

Post #30 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Venari wrote:How much frozen juice did you add to each carbouy?

When I'm making it from frozen concentrate I use at least 10 cans (12-15 is better) for 5 gallons. Then I add sugar of some kind to the OG I'm looking for. Just make sure your concentrate doesn't have any preservatives like potassium sorbate and you should be good to go.

Its not fine wine by any stretch of the imagination, more like alcopop. But everyone I've brought this to has absolutely loved it. I backsweeten with artificial sweetener and naturally carbonate in bottles. A cold glass full goes down pretty good when its hot outside...

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”