Preparing my apple trees

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
outscidr

Preparing my apple trees

Post by outscidr » 4 years ago

I'm hoping someone in the forum has some advice for me on this.

I have three apple tree's in my backyard. Two of them love to produce fruit. I think I got between 24 to 30 garden waste bags full of apples in the past fall. There seems to be 2 different varieties.
However, I had to toss them out. Small worm like holes in almost every apple. Thus, I have never tasted them...

My question is how to treat them come spring to keep the bugs out. I have heard of spraying them with some oil.

I would love to make some cider with my own apples.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: Preparing my apple trees

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

outscidr wrote:I'm hoping someone in the forum has some advice for me on this.

I have three apple tree's in my backyard. Two of them love to produce fruit. I think I got between 24 to 30 garden waste bags full of apples in the past fall. There seems to be 2 different varieties.
However, I had to toss them out. Small worm like holes in almost every apple. Thus, I have never tasted them...

My question is how to treat them come spring to keep the bugs out. I have heard of spraying them with some oil.

I would love to make some cider with my own apples.
you need to spray the trees with dormant oil spray, needs to be done before any shoots open ,buy it at any garden outlet usually,if you have large trees you may need 2 boxes ang at least a 3 gallon pump sprayer. i used to spray all my fruit trees as it kills over wintering insect and most larvea, it controls aphid larvea as well so if you have hops spray the trees every year, i generally would spray here on the west coast in mid feb depending on the elements,if you find black knot disease on your branches you need to cut at least 6 inches away befor the knot and burn this piece to control from coming back , if you have a tree thats full of black knot disease you should cut the tree down and burn it as you will never get rid of the problem, i have 1 lrg plumb tree that will face the chainsaw this summer as its to far gone with black knot, the trees that these cuttings came from had a little on them 20 years ago and the cuttings carry over the disease, i better quit now, good luck....

outscidr

Post by outscidr » 4 years ago

Thx Ruf!

Funny you mentioned the black knot, I think I seen what you are talking about on a sand cherry I had to cut down in front of the house. Luckily I haven't seen any on the apple trees.

:cheers:

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

some types of fruit trees dont seem to be effected by blackroot, i have 2 dwarf apple trees and 2 pear trees, nothing at all on those, 5 of the purple prune plumbs have it to a certain degree, one will fall to saw for sure.