Mr Coopers Blushing Monkey!!

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Mr Coopers Blushing Monkey!!

Post #1 by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

Catchy name right?? Its loosely (very) based on DangerDaves DragonsBlood recipe.

I started with 10lbs of frozen fruit, mostly bananas with a good amount of pear and blood orange threw in some apple and berries for good measure. I boiled them in 4L or so of water for 30 min (for sterilization), cooled, bagged and added to the primary. To that I added one big bottle of real lemon, 1 kg of light brown sugar, 6 3/4lbs white sugar, 3 tsp nutrient, 3 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp wine tannin along with water to 23L (which was a mistake, I'm gonna remove some for fear of a huge mess). SG of 1.077 at 60F, I wonder what mr beer/coopers yeast alcohol tolerrance is?

I had a 5g packet of Mr beer yeast and a 7g packet of coopers yeast leftover from the Mr Coopers Aztec Abomination frankenbrew that I made. I rehydrated them together in some water and have been feeding them must for a few hours now. Gonna let the starter go till tomorrow sometime then pitch. The starter smells delicious though! Kinda bananabready!!

And that's what I did on St Paddies Day!!
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: Mr Coopers Blushing Monkey!!

Post #2 by ruf1 » 4 years ago

wow,that sounds like one hell of a mix, what does it taste like going into the fermentor? the big bottle of real lemon will pucker your face big time, the reason i say that is ,my wife made lemon chicken 1 day and it was not very good-over the wall lemony , the real lemon goes a long way with just a bit, would like to hear your tasting notes on that one when its done,and you need lots of yeasties to ferment that. :cheers:
SmokeyMcB

Post #3 by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

the taste is delicious! very vivid banana flavour with enough acid to round it out nicely. the colour is a very pale blush, I've got high hopes to tell you the truth.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
SmokeyMcB

Post #4 by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

hey, do you guys think i should cold crash the starter before pitching? seems like a good way to get rid of the excess must that i made
SmokeyMcB

Post #5 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Drinking a few glasses of this tonight. tastes fantastic lol!!

banana blood orange.jpg

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”